Wounded in a bomb explosion and can't get home visit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wounded in a bomb explosion and can't get home visit

Daren_66
Daren_66 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm an ex service man.. I was wounded in a n IED explosion. I have sent all my support evidence and pip form in.. The atos people at first said I have sent so much info in and they want to do an assessment at a centre. I asked them to read the gp letter asking for a home visit only due to my physical and mental illness. The health professional looked at my case and said cause I visited my gp 2 months ago I can go to an assessment centre. I explained I can't. It just seems they are not even looking at my evidence. Even though I ask them to each time I call atos.. Will a new health professional look at the correct letter of support for me by my gp?? 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello daren 66

I think ATOS may have now changed their name to Independent Assessment Services (IAS).

You need to lodge a complaint against the decision not to visit you at home. I have put  link below to IAS complaint procedure.

https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/feedback/#a-step-by-step-guide-to-our-complaint-process-1553

In addition it maybe worth contacting your local MP and ask for their help and assistance with your case. They can also query why a home visit is not been offered. 

Also the British Legion may also be able to help, again I put a link to their website and looks like they can be contacted for free on 0808 802 8080.

https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-support/finance/help-with-disability-benefits/ 

Good luck

Maria
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Pamela_Fife
    Pamela_Fife Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hey Daren 66

Just joined today so not entirely sure how this all works - but I'll attempt to reply anyway lol. I filled in my PIP forms with help from a friend who's a social worker. I suffer with a chronic pain condition, depression and severe anxiety. I didn't ask for a home visit, and I have to visit my gp and hospital regularly - but was awarded one anyway. I'd defo lodge a complaint. Absolutely rediculous in the circumstances ur in, that they can't come visit u at home.  Please ask them to reconsider, and good luck with ur claim. 
      I've had my home visit and waiting patiently to hear back. 

Take Care

Pamela. 
  • Daren_66
    Thanks for your message. My doctor has rung and spoke to ATOS. They have now agreed to a home visit for me.. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Daren_66, I am really happy to hear that you managed to get this sorted! I wish you the very best of luck with your assessment and please do keep us updated :)
    Scope

• Daren_66
    Thank you... 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Daren_66 glad you’v got you home visit sorted out, hope you get the award you want
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Daren_66 said:
    I'm an ex service man.. I was wounded in a n IED explosion. I have sent all my support evidence and pip form in.. The atos people at first said I have sent so much info in and they want to do an assessment at a centre. I asked them to read the gp letter asking for a home visit only due to my physical and mental illness. The health professional looked at my case and said cause I visited my gp 2 months ago I can go to an assessment centre. I explained I can't. It just seems they are not even looking at my evidence. Even though I ask them to each time I call atos.. Will a new health professional look at the correct letter of support for me by my gp?? 
    I too am a veteran in more way than one! Thankfully my time with the Army was a safe one unlike others I see and hear about. My experience in NI is dwarfed by the stories I hear of the Mid East.
     Unfortunately the training we go through never leaves you, no matter what.
     I was injured at work in 1995 when I was confronted by two masked divvies one holding an automatic weapon and the other with a baseball bat who attempted to relieve me of the wages I was making up.
     The reaction was to attack with surprise and aggression to relieve him of the weapon and put him down with it. Unfortunately I got a crack across the back of the head which put me on the deck. For good measure I looked up and saw the discharge from the weapon - then nothing I was out for the count. 

I only mention all of that as the assessor/DWP  three times at face to face assessments concluded that my mental health was better than the average bloke!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.