Is there any point in going? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there any point in going?

lozzer25
lozzer25 Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello I've just got a letter through for a face to face assessment I know I am going to be declined I have mild spastic diplegia I only applied for pip as my mobility has got worse over time although I am independently mobile I get very tired due to the spasticity in my left leg shopping is also difficult as my arms and shoulders tighten when I carry things resulting in stiffening and pain in my neck and shoulders I have adapted to my own way as I only got a diagnosis 5 years ago scared I am going to go in there and automatically going to dismiss me

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is for how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility at least 50% of the time.

Take a look at the Disability Rights UK site. 

If if you are  not awarded PIP,  you can appeal.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lozzer25
    Have you done the PIP Self- test online? This may give you an indication about whether you would be entitled to the benefit. Unfortunately this tool can not be 100% accurate due to the assessor potentially putting you in different categories. Very best with your claim and please keep us updated :)
    Scope

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes always do a self test for PIP online, this will give you a good Indecation of how you might score in an acessment. 
  • wrinkly65
    wrinkly65 Community member Posts: 28 Courageous
    definately agree above- how affects you is key keep to that fact , we often find ways round but they are lenghty and not always reliable , safe or done in reasonable time as  criteria states. that I believe counts as  cant do . Do look at descriptors and think how does a normal person do this. Lastly dont give up lot of people get PIP after MR /Tribunal so worth fighting. Again lots of advice on this site.Hope goes well.
  • lozzer25
    Thank you all for your advice have any of yourselves had a face to face assessment I have heard the assessor tries to trip you up 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    I was asked trick questions, about whether I had pets and about hobbies.  Looking after pets indicates high levels of energy and hobbies like crafts and jigsaws indicate good manual dexterity.

I was also asked for how long can I walk not how far.  Just giving a time gives them scope to decide you can walk farther than you can. Say that it takes you X seconds/minutes to walk Y meters. DWP think 45 seconds to walk 20m indicates very slow walking.
  • lozzer25
    Thank you Matilda I can walk but not without pain as my stupid leg causes my foot to turn in which makes walking very tiring I wrote it all down at the back I give them the honest truth the only thing that has helped me especially with my mobility in hands is the baclofen I had to retrain my brain to align my posture I struggle everyday with pain and tiredness but I have to do it because it won't get done otherwise I can't expect my partner to come home from doing an 8 hour shift at work and expect him to make tea and I wouldn't do that due to tiredness as don't sleep well but still do it it's selfish if not doubt dwp will see it like that though x
  • Milly123
    Milly123 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Yes, I've had my face to face assessment and I'm not very impressed. For a start, they kept me waiting one and a half hours over my appointment time. My partner pushed me in my wheelchair which we took in case I was expected to walk down a long corridor as some people have said. He helped me out of my wheelchair and onto a chair and did the reverse when we were finished. The assessor lied in her assessment a few times. She said I walked across the room for a few metres on my partners arm but not leaning on him, very slowly and with difficulty but steady. In other words, I didn't need supporting and my balance was good. I did not walk anywhere while i was in the room, she lied. My balance has been rubbish for years. Because of her lies, I got standard mobility instead of the enhanced which I was 2 points short of. I used to be on higher rate dla for mobility indefinitely for 9 years prior to this pips. She also lied that I was able to prepare and cook a simple meal which I can't do because of my health problems and that I could dress my upper body and wash my hair, back and feet which again I cannot do. She also said I declined to do squats or get onto the examination table when in fact she said to me that she wouldn't ask me to do those things as she could see that I couldn't. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration and my partner wrote a letter stating the reasons why we disagreed with her report. I had phoned dwp up and asked for a copy of the assessors report a week or so after my face to face. They sent back saying they could still only offer me standard for care and mobility. I know I could ask for an appeal but I'm so stressed out by it all and I believe it can take a year or more to get to appeal stage during which time you don't get any money. And then if they turn you down at appeal, you could loose what you've been awarded already. I know if you get awarded on appeal, you get your money backdated but it is a long time to go without any money. I'm really angry with the assessor for lying but I think I will have to stick with what I've been awarded and try to move on from what has been a stressful few months which has taken a further toll on my health. I don't agree with what they are doing, I think the pip assessment system is corrupt and those involved in it should be brought to account. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Milly123
    sorry you experience sounds awful.
    I just want to say if you do appeal then you will stay on the award your on now until the appeal is heard.
    If the appeal panel think you may lose the appeal, your award then they will tell you so at the beginning of the hearing and give you the opportunity to leave without going through the appeal.

It all depends on how strong you feel, it’s a long and emotional journey the appeal process but good luck with whatever you de

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I am really sorry to hear about people's negative experiences with face to face assessments. We all know that applying for benefits can be a very difficult and stressful time. Not all experiences are bad and some people have no issues with the system- it very much is a mixed bag. Despite the stress, I hope you all get what you are entitled to in the end.
    Scope

• Milly123
    Milly123 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi susan48. 
    Thank you for the information. Im sorry, I was unaware that you kept your award while you were going through to appeal. Im sorry if my last post mis- informed anyone. It's also interesting that you say that if they think your appeal will fail that you are given the opportunity to leave without going through the appeal. If you are absolutely sure about this, the new information you have given me might just change my mind about appealing. I do feel strongly that these assessors should be brought to account for their lies but at the same time, I do feel drained with what's happened up to this point. I will have a re-think about what to do next. Thank you Susan48
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Milly123 said:
     I do feel strongly that these assessors should be brought to account for their lies but at the same time, I do feel drained with what's happened up to this point. 
    No one is interested in what the assessors do. Even the DWP haven't challenged them on the evidence that shows that ATOS/CAPITA have never reached the target for quality.
    It's in the DWP's interest to allow the assessors to operate in this way - they end up doing the work that the government want taking all the bad press and publicity leaving the government/DWP completely whiter than white.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I’ve had s face to face. I also has someone with me as support and witness. They saw most of what was asked and answered. The assessment seemed to go well. However, between there and the decision maker things got twisted. So don’t worry about how they will treat you. Do you have someone to go with you?
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Milly123 said:
    Hi susan48. 
    Thank you for the information. Im sorry, I was unaware that you kept your award while you were going through to appeal. Im sorry if my last post mis- informed anyone. It's also interesting that you say that if they think your appeal will fail that you are given the opportunity to leave without going through the appeal. If you are absolutely sure about this, the new information you have given me might just change my mind about appealing. I do feel strongly that these assessors should be brought to account for their lies but at the same time, I do feel drained with what's happened up to this point. I will have a re-think about what to do next. Thank you Susan48
    I’m 99% sure that’s how the process works but I’m doubting myself now, overthinking.

If anyone else can clarify what I said please do.

@Milly123
  • Zeezee
    Zeezee Community member Posts: 78 Pioneering
    Hi I have just been to tribunal and yes you do keep the award you are already on during the appeal process and then they backdate the difference if your successful (which I was thankfully). I don't know about giving you the option of not going through with it as my daughters case was pretty straight forward and I was under the impression they had already decided to award her the higher rate care before I arrived. But I have heard other people saying they were given the opportunity to not go through with their appeal beforehand. I hope this helps

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.