PIP verdict. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP verdict.

Gaina
Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
I got my letter this morning and I've been  awarded the standard rate of living component and enhanced mobility. The award is described as 'ongoing' but will be reviewed in 2028.

I'm a bit confused as to how I only got 4/8 points for preparing a meal when I made it abundantly clear I can't do it all but I'm no worse off as it stands so I'm not inclined to push it.

I still haven't recived the report I requested, so I'm going to have to think carefully about weather I want to pursue that too. 

Right now, I'm just glad I won't lose my car and can start thinking about my next one!

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Well done!

Assessors often award fewer points than people deserve.  That's their raison d'etre!
  • Gaina
    Matilda said:
    Well done!

Assessors often award fewer points than people deserve.  That's their raison d'etre!

Thanks Matilda, I'm just glad the stress is over. I'm really very lucky to be in a position to decide weather or not I want to pursue the living component decision, some others are not so lucky as that extra money is a significant amount to them and I'd hate to be in their position having to endure the stress of and MR and possibly a tribunal.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Gaina, well done on your award.

I feel if your ok with your award it’s definitely not worth the anxiety to go to appeal.
    As you say others haven’t got the opinion but to appeal but if I were you I’d take the decision and move on with life.

Great news  :)
  • Gaina
    edited July 2018
    susan48 said:
    @Gaina, well done on your award.

I feel if your ok with your award it’s definitely not worth the anxiety to go to appeal.
    As you say others haven’t got the opinion but to appeal but if I were you I’d take the decision and move on with life.

Great news  :)

Yes, I'm inclined to agree. :) What gets me is if I had employed a PA who was preparing my meals, I'd probably have been awarded that extra point (I was only 1 away from the enhanced rate) but because it's my Mum who does it, they don't consider the possibility we want to pay family members what they're worth?!
  • susan48
    @Gaina, enjoy the award and less anxiety 
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

Just a thought, someone can claim Carer's Allowance, as you have been awarded standard care of PIP.

Worth looking into.

• Matilda
    It shouldn't make any difference who prepares your food, just that you need someone to do it for you.
  • Milly123
    Milly123 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Well done Gaina on getting your nice long award. If you are happy with what you've been awarded, then you should stick with it and get on with your life till pips is next due. If you went to appeal, it could take a year or more in which time you would be getting nothing and then you could risk having what you have been awarded taken off you. At least you will know where you stand and It will give you 10 years peace of mind. 
  • Gaina
    Milly123 said:
    Well done Gaina on getting your nice long award. If you are happy with what you've been awarded, then you should stick with it and get on with your life till pips is next due. If you went to appeal, it could take a year or more in which time you would be getting nothing and then you could risk having what you have been awarded taken off you. At least you will know where you stand and It will give you 10 years peace of mind. 

Yes that's my thinking exactly. :)
  • Gaina
    atlas46 said:
    Hi

Just a thought, someone can claim Carer's Allowance, as you have been awarded standard care of PIP.

Worth looking into.

I was just talking to my parents about that a few minutes ago, funnily enough! I'll definitely look into it, thanks. :)
  • Matilda
    People keep their current award while they appeal.  It's worth appealing if you think your current award is safe from reduction or removal.
  • Gaina
    Matilda said:
    People keep their current award while they appeal.  It's worth appealing if you think your current award is safe from reduction or removal.

I am definitely going to have a think about it (haven't got long to appeal now, though saying as the verdict arrived 10 days AFTER the date on the letter!).
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Gaina said:

some others are not so lucky as that extra money is a significant amount to them and I'd hate to be in their position having to endure the stress of and MR and possibly a tribunal.
    When the DWP took my PIP off me for the last and final time, the loss financially was quite a chunk of the household income.

£145 PIP a week + the whole of my Pension Credit of £52 a week + the loss of the 100% Council Tax Support which is another £33 a week!

So yes the lies and ridiculous comments in the assessors report has cost us £230 a week!!

• Yadnad
    susan48 said
    As you say others haven’t got the option 
    The option to go for an appeal is generally based on the fact that you are physically and mentally able to cope with the stress and anxiety such an action creates. Otherwise you have to weigh up your health V the Tribunal.

• susan48
    Yadnad said:
    susan48 said
    As you say others haven’t got the option 
    The option to go for an appeal is generally based on the fact that you are physically and mentally able to cope with the stress and anxiety such an action creates. Otherwise you have to weigh up your health V the Tribunal.

I appealed because I felt it was unfair the award I was given.

I didn’t know how detrimental to my health this process was and how long it would seriously effect my MH.
    I was new to the benefits system, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Yadnad
    susan48 said

I appealed because I felt it was unfair the award I was given.

I didn’t know how detrimental to my health this process was and how long it would seriously effect my MH.
    I was new to the benefits system, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I agree hindsight is a wonderful thing. Warnings should be given before someone embarks on an appeal in that the stress & anxiety may be too much to cope with.
    Fortunately I did know having been to a couple of Tribunal in the past. In fact the one that heard my appeal against the level of Council Tax benefit a few years back was listed for a full day hearing (it was really complex) although it only lasted until early afternoon. I won that against my local council who had instructed legal support for their side.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.