Pension predicament — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pension predicament

podule
podule Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi, I'm in receipt of ESA support group.  My state pension begins in 2022 and I have a small private pension, retirement year 2021.

I do need to draw on the private pension quite urgently for home repairs and I'm hoping to get a grant for further repairs.  I own my own home without mortgage.

If I draw say 5k now, will that affect my benefit in any way?

Also, if I take a monthly income or lump sum after my state pension age, will that affect my benefit?

And Universal Credit! Will that change anything?

Hope someone can help.  Thank you

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @podule and welcome to the community!

Here is what I found in terms of how it may affect your benefits: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/pensions/nearing-retirement/what-you-can-do-with-your-pension-pot/ 

It may also be worth checking on the DWP website.
    Scope

• podule
    Thank you Chloe!  I had already read through the CA page but happened to miss some helpful bits on there.  I will now look at DWP.

If you could just clear up one mystery for me though, what happens to ESA after State Pension age?

Thank you
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @podule

A very warm welcome to the community.

If we look at State Pension first.

Have you had a state pension forecast?

If not, than I strongly suggest that you seek one, please contact Future Pensions Centre on tel: 0800 731 0175.

I would also suggest you contact The Pensions Tracing Service on tel: 0800 731 0193. To ensure you have not overlooked any occupational pensions you have paid into during your working life.

There was a considerable change to state pension in 2016, with the new state pension of £164 per week, from that date.

In respect of the £5k for housing repair, have to got the written confirmation from the pension fund that they will give you access to these funds?

It should not affect your ESA claim, however if you have savings, I would seek help from CAB.

As a matter of interest, from whom are you seeking a grant for building work on your home.

Hope this help.

Keep us informed

• podule
    Hi atlas

Yes, I've had my SP forecast and I'm entitle to the full amount.

I've spoken to my private pension provider and told I can withdraw as my pension first matured two years ago, but no written confirmation yet.

I don't have any other savings.

I'm going to apply for a council grant but I need to get help with this.

Thank you
  • atlas46
    Hi

I am the original "doubting Thomas", get written confirmation from pension fund.

Please do check with pension tracing.

Are you looking at Disabled Facilities Grant DFG, if so make an application asap, seek an assessment from an OT from social services.
  • podule
    THank you, yes I will do :)

• atlas46
    Hi

I will tag @Jean_Scope, who is the expert on anything to do with OT, she is very kind and helpful. She will be able to guide you through the grant process.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @podule

Thanks to @atlas46 for inviting me to join the conversation with regards to grant applications. 

You mentioned house repairs, is this the sort of routine maintenance that any home might require or is there a need for work to be done that is specific to your disability/health condition?

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• podule
    Hi Jean

It's not specific to my needs but a bit more than routine.  A part new roof for one.

Thank you

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @podule

As an occupational therapist, my area of focus in the home environment, tends to be disability specific aids and adaptations rather than general maintenance issues. However, I do have a couple of thoughts to share.

Check out if you have a local Care and Repair Group. Here is the link to the national Care and Repair website for England: http://careandrepair-england.org.uk/ they will be able to direct you to a local group. My expectation would be that the local group would have knowledge of any appropriate housing improvement/refurbishment schemes in your area.

There is also a grant search tool on the Scope website that you can use to try to identify grant giving organisation which you can apply to: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/search-grants

Grants tend to be means tested and it is normally necessary for applicants to show evidence of their income. 

In some instances people who own their own home decide to release capital from it to pay for repairs etc. This is a big step to take and one that, in my opinion, should only been considered after quality independent financial advice has been sought.

People in receipt of means tested benefits need to be cautious about any financial transactions which will take them over the capital/income limits for that benefit. Even if the money is only briefly passing through your account, and is ear-marked for a specific purpose. If you feel that you might find yourself in this position I think it would be wise to seek advice for a welfare rights adviser.

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• podule
    That's brilliant advice.  Just what I'm looking for.

Thank you so much, Jean

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.