Appealing my PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appealing my PIP decision

Jason01
Jason01 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi . I have ankylosing spondylitis and fybromyalgia. I'm currently appealing my pip decision,  and I cannot begin to tell you how stressed and worried I am . 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    me too Jason1 . its a absolute disgrace how we are treated. The degrading assesment made me cry. The twisting of words and the total disregard for ovbious disability is in my view abusive and cruel. I attended in my scooter but lost all my previous daily living points and scored 4 for mobility . what a joke eh! I have appealed.
  • Jason01
    It's a long and involved process.  It's taken 30 years to get thus far , and now all the work professionals and myself have done could be wiped out by a loss of mobility 
  • Jason01
    I only needed 2 more points , citizens advice are now helping resolve this 
  • [Deleted User]
    jason1 i too have fibromyalgia and it is very difficult as it is a invisable condition open to suspition and misunderstanding. i dont think even my GP truly gets what my life is like .

• Jason01
    My gp and everyone else gets it , it's the pip assessors who don't understand chronic pain and struggles 
  • [Deleted User]
    that is good . i had to recently start using a scooter due to the pain of walking and when i told him he said that wasnt a good idea! i was trapped in my flat as i couldnt.cope with the pain of walking or standing and my mental health took a nose dive as i also have Complex Ptsd
  • Jason01
    I use crutches and a scooter. Its too painful otherwise. Why did he say nit to use scooter, maybe you need a new doctor 
  • [Deleted User]
    He said he thought that I might get used to using it! I had to explain to him that i couldnt cope going out without it so I felt like i was left with no choice...I dont believe he gets it and yes i am thinking a new Gp is needed as i dont feel he hears me.
  • Jason01
    The patient is the one who knows, these doctors are working for us and their opinions aren’t always welcome 
  • [Deleted User]
    i know he is a very quiet person and its like pulling teeth trying to get him to engage and then he says that.. when i first became ill he told me i couldnt have ME like another Doctor suspected as i wouldnt be able to make my appointments at his surgery and that made me alert to him not "getting it"
  • [Deleted User]
    although he was better than another doc at the practice who was refusing to give me a sick note for longer than 2 weeks when i was being assesed because i didnt look ill to her! i was so upset and in floods of tears as i felt how the heck do i get well when you dont get im ill
  • Jason01
    My previous doctor used to smirk at every single thing, it was really annoying, so I changed doctor. Some people have no respect 
  • [Deleted User]
    That is unaceptable and says all you need to know about their level of understanding of how it impacts us on a daily basis. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jason01 and welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear that you are finding things stressful at the moment. Going through the benefit system can be stressful, so I hope we can help in some way!
    Scope

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I have chronic pain too. 0 points at PIP assessment. Apparently I showed no sign of pain. What was I supposed to do? Scream constantly?
  • Jason01
    Thing is, i yelp and screamed all the time, still didn’t help 
  • [Deleted User]
    mikehughescq 
    Im sorry but are you saying that I would be better walking .....even though the levels of pain and spasticity in my muscles meant that. i had a panic attack each time i left my house? 
  • [Deleted User]
    wow! what a patronising unhelpful negative and smug attitude you possess. Get back to me when you know what its like to HAVE to use a scooter you ignorant person
  • Jason01
    I had no choice . I was completely unable to walk. The pain was excruciating.  It's better to use a scooter than hurt yourself more 
  • [Deleted User]
    jason01
    thankyou . I am so fed up with small minded people who dont have a clue what we face. I am a educated woman who has a degree in acupuncture and I dont need a lecture on my own body by a person who ovbiously is not in a position to challenge or educate me in  my situation as you i know it is not a choice when a disability is at the level we experience . 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.