Will my husband be able to claim Carer's Allowance? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my husband be able to claim Carer's Allowance?

axwy62
axwy62 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
For a number of reasons my husband has decided to retire next April, when he will be 59.

At the moment I receive ESA (Cont) Support group and PIP enhanced care and enhanced mobility plus a small pension. My son currently receives Carer's allowance for me and works part time, but he would welcome the chance to go full time and get on with his own life.

The only income my husband will have is from a property we rent out, which works out at about £90 per week net. 

I've tried a couple of benefits calculators but they don't seem able to cope with our circumstances. I know that my husband can claim Carer's Allowance and get his NI credits, but will he actually receive any money - one calculator said yes, the other no.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Hi @axwy62 this must be a very confusing situation indeed. I can imagine it is hard if you are getting different answers. Have you tried the scope helpline? The number is: 0808 800 3333

Hopefully, they will be able to give to you clearer advice about your own circumstances
    Scope

• axwy62
    edited July 2018
    However unlikely, if anyone else is in a similar situation, this is what I have been told.

Carer's allowance is not means tested, though to receive payment you must be earning under the earnings limit of £120 per week. 

Where someone has a property they let out as a small landlord, i.e. only 1 or 2 properties not a business, its treated as capital not income. As Carer's Allowance is not means tested none of our capital or my income is taken into account.

Outcome - hubby will be paid Carer's Allowance, which may be just enough to keep us going until he gets his state pension at 67.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There is a simple decision to make. You can claim the severe disability premium or someone can claim carers allowance, you cannot have both. The amounts are basically equal. From your description it might appear you are getting both and, if so, could find that one of you might have to refund the amount for claiming both for the period it has been paid if that is actually the case. I am not an expert but have asked that particular question. However, the names of benefits and stuff have sometimes been changed and I may be wrong about what it is called now. If so then I apologise.

If everything is ok and you aren't getting the SDP then you could claim that maybe and not worry about carers allowance? I suppose it depends on your situation and the best bet would be to contact the CAB to clarify. I am assuming that SDP is still applicable to a PIP decision in the same way it was to a DLA one. It is though part of the ESA claim.

The only other thing I can think of that may be relevant is that owning a property is classed as having savings of the same amount and would therefore exceed the savings limit for entitlement for benefits.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • axwy62
    I do not and never have received severe disability premium and I do not receive any means tested benefits therefore capital is irrelevant.
  • Topkitten
    @axwy62 if your husband owns the property then it would make him ineligible for benefits I think. It wouldn't affect your entitlement to SDP though (assuming it still applies to PIP claims). It used to be calculated based on your DLA entitlement.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • axwy62
    I cannot get the SDP because I do not claim any means tested benefits - it is not available with ESA (cont).
    Carer's allowance is not means-tested and therefore capital, in the form of property, is irrelevant.
  • Topkitten
    Until my mother died and left me some money I was only getting DLA and ESA and I did get SDP. I am unsure why you cannot get it and I could. Off hand though I can't remember which type of ESA I got though.

I did get housing benefit and a severe disability discount on council tax. Maybe that's the difference.

It is certainly most unfair that claiming benefits gets so complicated especially as the people who need them most are usually the least able to work it out.

TK
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for keeping us updated @axwy62 :)
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.