Government to end unnecessary PIP reviews for people with most severe health conditions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Government to end unnecessary PIP reviews for people with most severe health conditions

Government_needs_reform
Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
Breaking news surrounding PIP reviews. People with the most severe, life-long conditions will no longer have to attend regular reviews for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The Minister for Disabled People, Health and Work, Sarah Newton, said:

We’re absolutely determined to ensure people get the right support that they need to live better, more comfortable lives.

PIP is a needs-based benefit that takes into consideration people’s individual, and sometimes quite complicated circumstances.

We’ve listened to feedback from organisations and the public, and this common-sense change will ensure that the right protections are in place while minimising any unnecessary stress or bureaucracy.

The government will be working with stakeholders to design the light touch review process so that it adds value for both our claimants and the department – for example, by providing information on services available and ensuring that contact or bank details have not changed.

We are still finalising details of the guidance and will publish it later this summer.

See further news here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-to-end-unnecessary-pip-reviews-for-people-with-most-severe-health-conditions

⬇️
I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    wilko said:
    Believe it when it happens, 

@wilko I am ongoing award Enhanced both and was told on my PA3 no further reviews necessary and (it's not appropriate to review the claim.)

So I should be left alone as I have submitted solid evidence and HP and CM agrees 100%  I'm buggered.

But will see I won't ever improve I will probably be dead by then anyway.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Similar to the indefinite award.
    The is already the light touch in place isn't there for those with 10 year award..
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • ladyjax
    ladyjax Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I had a pip assessment on Wednesday of last week. I know I will not continue to get pip cause I forgot everything i had to tell him. I said how can anyone be expected to describe to you how much pain that we have to suffer. He just looked at me....

• zany52
    zany52 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Does this apply to people on enhanced disability pip?
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Same here Ladyjax. Fatigue and brain fog struck ?
  • zany52
    zany52 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
  • Government_needs_reform
    zany52 said:
    Does this apply to people on enhanced disability pip?
    @zany52 this will be for people that recieve both Mobility and Daily living components at (Enhanced) rate, and variant on sever ness of health too.
    ⬇️

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    I'm cynical too. Everything they say is a lie and they say it just to shut people up so they quietly go away and don't get the support they need.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    feir said:
    I'm cynical too. Everything they say is a lie and they say it just to shut people up so they quietly go away and don't get the support they need.

At one time I was a very positive individual - surprise! - but now with everything that I have been through - failure of the NHS, closing down a purpose built Mental Health Day Centre attached to the hospital and changing it to a Minor Injuries Clinic, waiting months to see a consultant - the DWP who never reply to letters or answer the telephone, and who are intent on making my life almost impossible with repeat failings to issue decisions that are based on fact and not the fiction of an assessor I am now a cynic and see no truth or action in what the government say they will do.
  • Yadnad
    Guidance due at the end of the Summer allegedly but you can force this now by asking for an ongoing award on claim packs: MR forms and SCS1 appeal forms rather than assuming they’ll notice your condition is permanent, degenerative etc. 

Given that this is supposed to be happening is there any chance that the DWP will review cases going back to 2013 where they issued ridiculous short awards resulting in re-assessments including continual face to face assessments in respect of clear cases of permanent and degenerative conditions?

• starchild
    starchild Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Does anyone really believe any of this any more we are a huge community and dont ever seem to get anywhere .This is a total and utter travesty .All tbis red tape needs to stop .Whete do we go eho can we trust .This isnt what we deserve .im really sorry i dont have the answers we need i can only ask pray that soon it will all be to the best for all .we really are so many against so few of them .The balance has to be corrected we need to make sure that it does .
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Agreed @starchild ! The problem, I think, is that the public simply isn't interested.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I wonder what you mean by "the public". It is solely in the hands of the government and their continuing efforts to change a fairly well working DLA system to a blatantly not working PIP system and to cover up the millions of pounds spent and lost by getting outsourced and incapable companies to try to save money no matter what the cost. As far as "the public" is concerned they believe the lies spread around that disabled people are given everything free and large amounts of money to live on and that a large percentage of claims were fraudulent. I wonder who started those rumours, lol!!!!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    They won't listen to disabled people, no matter how much we demonstrate and write and send petitions. We've been doing all these things for 8 years, and it hasn't worked. Basically, we need to be the new Windrush folks. Once the public heard about how the gov't were treating them, they kicked up such a fuss that the gov't had to change what they were doing.

Unfortunately. as you say, a good chunk of the public believe the lies about us. Some of the public just don't care. The rest know what's going on, think it's terrible, but they don't do anything about it. My FB friends read my posts and say things like, "My god, this is just evil! I'm so sorry that you're going through this!" They've lent me money, etc., which I'm very grateful for, but they're almost all wealthy, employed, able, male, white, etc. They would be listened to, if enough of them spoke up, but.... They don't.
  • Yadnad
    Waylay said:
    They won't listen to disabled people, no matter how much we demonstrate and write and send petitions. We've been doing all these things for 8 years, and it hasn't worked. Basically, we need to be the new Windrush folks. Once the public heard about how the gov't were treating them, they kicked up such a fuss that the gov't had to change what they were doing.

Unfortunately. as you say, a good chunk of the public believe the lies about us. Some of the public just don't care. The rest know what's going on, think it's terrible, but they don't do anything about it. My FB friends read my posts and say things like, "My god, this is just evil! I'm so sorry that you're going through this!" They've lent me money, etc., which I'm very grateful for, but they're almost all wealthy, employed, able, male, white, etc. They would be listened to, if enough of them spoke up, but.... They don't.
    You have to consider the political arena. No politician or government is going to want to alienate their party by doing something that their voters will revolt against.
    The disabled are well hidden from general view. Most people believe that they are awash with money and help anyway so why give them anymore.
    Put it another way the most important sector of society are those that fund the state. You won't get many votes if you go round telling them that their money is being handed out to the disabled unemployed!

Sorry but the disabled will never get the freedoms that are enjoyed by the non disabled. You only need to look at the latest attack of pouring flour over a disabled woman. Many years ago it was common place where I lived for kids to go out on a 'tipping' contest. To see how many wheelchair users could be tipped out of their wheelchairs in a day. 

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.