Pip appeal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip appeal

labradors2
labradors2 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
hi I wonder if anyone can tell me if my husband appeals his PIP decision what happens to his other benefits during the appeal?
he was on full rate care and mobility DLA in definitely, got assessed for transition to PIP, which resulted in no mobility and care reduced to middle rate.
he wants to appeal but we are worried that they will withhold PIP payments and also stop carers allowance and carer and disability premiums on ESA, until the appeal is heard?
we know if successful these benefits will be backdated, but it's trying to manage without them until then that's the problem. 
Any insight would be greatly appreciated 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @labradors2 and a warm welcome to the community!
    I hope you are not finding the appeals process too stressful- I know it can be a challenging time. Have you looked at the PIP online test? This may give you an indication about what your husband could receive. However, please do take this with a pinch of salt as the assessor may not put your husband in the same category. I believe they don't stop payments during an appeal, and like you said, any extra would be backdated if you won. However, I am not completely sure on this one! I hope the community can help with this one :)
    If you need any thing else then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Androgen
    Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
    When you appeal for a higher award, they don't reassess you, so they won't change your current claim, you'll stay on what you have been awarded until the tribunal decision is made, and then they will backdate the difference if you get the higher award, it shouldn't have any effect on other benefits as long as you're still entitled to them on the current award
  • labradors2
    Thank you that's very helpful ?
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Did u get the assesers report?
  • labradors2
    We have requested all the reports and information but haven't got them yet 

• littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    I hope you get them soon so you can see what there out good luck x
  • labradors2
    Sorry yes, he has been awarded the standard rate daily living allowance & nothing for mobility.
    he also gets ESA, they have confirmed that the changes to PIP from DLA have not affected his ESA claim. Nor has it affected the carers allowance that I get for looking after him.
    so changing from DLA to PIP has reduced our income by £113 every 4 weeks and lost us our mobility car.
    what I am trying to determine is, if we appeal will any of the ESA CARERS OR PIP  payments be frozen or stopped BEFORE there is a decision made on the appeal? 
  • labradors2
    Thank you everyone it's very much appreciated ?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    so changing from DLA to PIP has reduced our income by £113 every 4 weeks and lost us our mobility car.
    Join the club - Motability car went back together with a reduction in income and other benefits of £695 every 4 weeks!!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.