Has anyone got PIP for fibromyalgia? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone got PIP for fibromyalgia?

shiraz
shiraz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Comments

• shiraz
    shiraz Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Has any one go pip for fibromyalgia
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @shiraz,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you here.

We have a dedicated page for PIP on our community, and we do have some members with fibromyalgia who may be able to share their experiences with you. I've moved this post over to the PIP category for you. :)

Are you looking for more information about the application process?
    Liam
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Yes apparently many have done.
    PIP is not diagnosis related, in fact you don't need a diagnosis.
    What you do need to do is prove that you have difficulties matching some or more of the descriptors that make up PIP descriptors which give points and points make a PIP award.

As an example say someone who has a serious life threatening condition, has a full diagnosis and test results proving the diagnosis. If the side effects/symptoms are not correctly aligned with the descriptors then it is likely that they will not be given any points or award.

However for someone who does not have a life threatening condition and has no diagnosis but the side effects/symptoms are aligned with the descriptors then they are more likely than not to get a PIP award.
  • lauralouise
    lauralouise Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Yes I have fibromyalgia and have had my assessment downgraded to standard rate.  I also have to have another assessment in 2021.  It’s a joke
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I have fibromyalgia and have had my assessment downgraded to standard rate.  I also have to have another assessment in 2021.  It’s a joke
    I don't see the joke to be honest. Your situation fits in exactly with my above post. As an personal explanation my mum in 2001 aged 73 developed breast cancer. She had her left breast removed and lymph nodes. It left her unable to use her left arm to a large degree. She was warned that it was an aggressive tumour and may well have spread elsewhere for which tests are to be carried out. 
    I suggested to dad that she makes a claim for Attendance Allowance (DLA care for those over 65). He helped her with the form and sent it off. The result - no award due as she was assessed as not enough care was needed. She died in May 2003 of cancer of the liver.

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @lauralouise did you appeal the decision? 
  • lauralouise
    lauralouise Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    I am sorry yadnad about your mum.  I have other disabilities which I won’t go into.  All I was saying is the system is a joke. Debbiedo49 no I haven’t appealed I have just accepted as it is.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.