Pulsed radiofrequency of ganglion impar. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pulsed radiofrequency of ganglion impar.

jaggee
jaggee Community member Posts: 11 Listener
If you can advice me regarding the above treatment, what is the procedure, what's the recovery time, and is this a short term relief for my sublexion of the coccxy bone. and if anyone has this procedure done to them and how long relief they had.

Comments

• ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    Hi @jaggee

I have been away and done some research as i knew very little about this procedure, but I hope this might help.
    You probably already know the the ganglion of impar is a bundle of nerves situated at the lowest point in your coccyx or sitting bone. 
    My understanding is that it is a minimally invasive procedure that is performed as a day case for pelvic pain.  The probe is inserted using x ray or ultrasound guidance (ignore the needle in the pic above - I just used this to show the ganglion) and then the pulsed radiofrequency is delivered directly into the ganglion.

Apparently it can take about 10 - 14 days for the pain to be reduced, but the patient is usually able to go home after a couple of hours.

The figures I have found suggest there is about a 65% success rate of reducing the pain by at least 40% for 6 - 12 months!!  Lots of if and buts in those figures, so I would suggest discussing further with your pain team/anaesthetist.

I hope this helps!

Claire

Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk
  • jaggee
    Thank you claire for taking time and sending me this information which has helped me to understand clearly, once again thank you.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I had a radiofrequency denervation of my facet joints at L3/L4 - L5/S1. I suspect it's similar. One thing I'd say - ask for anaesthesia or sedation! They didn't give me any, and it was extremely painful.
  • jaggee
    Thanks for the advice, i will make sure they sedate me good and proper
  • ClaireSaul
    ClaireSaul Community member Posts: 92 Pioneering
    jaggee said:
    Thank you claire for taking time and sending me this information which has helped me to understand clearly, once again thank you.
    You are very welcome - let us know how it goes.
    Claire Saul
    Chronic Pain Advisor
    Scope
    helpline@scope.org.uk
    scope.org.uk

Brightness