Appealing my PIP decision - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appealing my PIP decision

Options
2»

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi all, thank you for using the community to discuss this issue. Please bare in mind that other members will have different opinions to yourself. Also, pain is a very personal and varied experience, people deal with this very differently. Please appreciate and support others in how they choose to manage their pain. Pain is unpleasant and will affect a lot of the community members so thank you for being open about this aspect.
    Scope

• Jason01
    Jason01 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    edited July 2018
    Options
    True , unsupportive comments are unhelpful 
  • Jason01
    Options
    People use mobility scooters to get around when in pain . Using the scooter helps preserve energy from dealing with pain . I use my scooter so that I can survive whatever task I'm aiming to do on arrival at my destination.  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying Jason. I too find a scooter gives me an advantage over my condition which reduced me to being imprisoned in my home for for the majority of three years. Not only has it helped limit the pain whilst outside and support being able to complete my journey but also like you say have the energy to complete what you need to do when arriving at your destination it has lowered my panic attacks i was experiencing trying to overide my pain levels. The fact is I was not only not able to overide the pain levels or the panic attacks due to this , it has to be remembered that even whilst not using the scooter I was still not mobile and without the scooter i was also having to deal with the limitations of virtual imprisonment due to this. Maybe some may feel this is not healthy and counter productive but i feel that scooters are a enabler to freedom from the hell of being trapped in your home. I am well aware that my choice to use one may bring criticism. and judgement but quite frankly i dont think anyone can judge or know what is right in individual circumstances unless they have walked in that persons shoes for 1 mile isnt that how the saying go ? 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    vickyanne said:
    I totally understand what you are saying Jason. I too find a scooter gives me an advantage over my condition which reduced me to being imprisoned in my home for for the majority of three years. Not only has it helped limit the pain whilst outside and support being able to complete my journey but also like you say have the energy to complete what you need to do when arriving at your destination it has lowered my panic attacks i was experiencing trying to overide my pain levels. The fact is I was not only not able to overide the pain levels or the panic attacks due to this , it has to be remembered that even whilst not using the scooter I was still not mobile and without the scooter i was also having to deal with the limitations of virtual imprisonment due to this. Maybe some may feel this is not healthy and counter productive but i feel that scooters are a enabler to freedom from the hell of being trapped in your home. I am well aware that my choice to use one may bring criticism. and judgement but quite frankly i dont think anyone can judge or know what is right in individual circumstances unless they have walked in that persons shoes for 1 mile isnt that how the saying go ? 
    Isn't the answer in two parts? A scooter can and does give a degree of independence but also reduces the level of mobility/exercise that is certainly beneficial to any or most disabilities.

The second part is to take up regular exercise even though it may well be painful. The ability of the human body to 'walk through the pain threshold' is vital to keep the muscles and blood flow working properly.

I am unable to walk beyond 10 or so metres without having to stop. Yet I regularly walk upwards of a mile once a week. Yes it leaves me knackered but I know that I am doing the best for my body that is possible plus it gives me a great feeling to know that I have done it against the odds.

• Jason01
    Options
    I'm making a mandatory appeal through citizens advice,  but the worry and anxiety of the fight is terrible . I feel very upset that I've been made to feelook so awful. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jason01 said:
    I'm making a mandatory appeal through citizens advice,  but the worry and anxiety of the fight is terrible . I feel very upset that I've been made to feelook so awful. 
    If you feel that way with the CAB helping you, try and understand how those that have no help manage to cope. They don't. Either they have a relapse or just give up as in my case.

• Jason01
    Options
    Today I finally reached the point of breakdown.  I only need two extra points , I have the evidence to cover it , but the timescale to get the info in before I have a massive problem is way too fine . Anxiety overtook me and I'm now suffering rolling panic attacks . I feel so upset that it's possible to make someone feel this awful,  but I absolutely cannot give up because I'm way too desperate and needy for the extra help . Everyone thinks it'll be fine , I do have hope , but it's such a huge deal that mentally I'm struggling . I cannot sleep or eat , and I'm now struggling to breathe with the overwhelming anxiety 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jason01 I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling in this way. The benefit system is very stressful for a lot of people so your feelings are very valid at this moment. Have you reached out for help regarding your current mental health and panic attacks? I really do hope you are able to get things sorted and the community are here every step of the way :)
    Scope

• Jason01
    Options
    I am getting help, I'm grateful too for it . I feel bad for people who are in this situation,  I think it's criminal because disabled people struggling with basic life are given a huge threatening fear of losing their connection to the outside world.  I've been housebound previously,  and I know the devastating effect of being isolated.  Alot of help and effort goes into assisting people to be part of the community and to alleviate isolation.  To return to isolation after a degree of freedom and connection would be a total disaster .
  • Jason01
    Options
    OK. ...so far we have all the paperwork and evidence dwp require . My only real issue now is timescale . I've heard of these things getting sorted in two weeks to six weeks , now all I got to do is hope and wait . Still scarey , but more of a pain in the bottom 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.