Can My Parents Keep PIP and Pension Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can My Parents Keep PIP and Pension Credit?

Options
yiuming
yiuming Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My dad is currently receiving Pension Credit and my mum has just been notified about being accepted for PIP.

Can my parents keep both benefits (PIP for mum and Pension Credit for dad)?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes PIP isn't means tested.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your parents are getting separate benefits each in their own right.  Pension credit is complex.  You could phone Age UK helpline.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @yiuming and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you get the answers you are looking for, if you need anything else then please do let me know!
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    yiuming said:
    My dad is currently receiving Pension Credit and my mum has just been notified about being accepted for PIP.

Can my parents keep both benefits (PIP for mum and Pension Credit for dad)?
    Yes they can keep both. Incidentally and this depends on the type of PIP award AND other conditions relating to the situation of other adults living in the same house, they could find that the Pension Credit award could increase because of your mum getting PIP.

I would suggest that you put their financial, living and current benefits situation into the following calculator.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/An-older-person

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    yiuming,

Yes, it is definitely fine for your parents to get both pension credit and PIP. As Yadnad says, they may even be entitled to more PIP now. It's worth checking the calculator. If your dad helps to care for your mum on a full-time basis then there's a further option of claiming carer's allowance. He won't be able to get it if he gets retirement pension, but it could increase their pension credit even further because of something called a carer's addition.

I hope you sort things out, but there's definitely nothing to worry about - if anything, they may be able to get a bit more help.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.