Wanting to have a child — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wanting to have a child

Sholay09
Sholay09 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
Hello my name is Shola and I am 20 years old. I have talked to my mother and a community nurse about wanting to have a child in the near future when I am 22 or 23 years old after I finish college in two years time. I wanted to ask whether it was normal for me to feel this way and whether it is ok for me to want that in my twenties.
S.York

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Hi. All feelings are valid, so it's totally ok to have the feeling that you'd like children.

I didn't have my children until my mid 20s. Do you have any reasons why you're doubting that it would be ok?
  • Sholay09
    Well Feir because of people like saying negative things about other people my age getting pregnant and having children and I really really hate that because when someone reaches the age of 18 or when they reach their early 20s like I have they are now full grown adults and that it should always stay that way as the human life cycle should never ever change at all.
    S.York
  • feir
    Thanks for elaborating.

As a mum i have seen a lot of negatives said about all types of parents, even before they become parents like in your example here. It's definitely one of the things that actually comes along with being a parent too: that you will be judged for it, and on how you do it, and even for reasons that make no sense. I have no idea why so many people feel a need to comment on other peoples lives and how they conduct it but it happens a lot in this area, i like to think it is out of concern for children but sometimes it is obvious it is out of prejudice.

You've made what seems a reasonable decision to postpone having children until after your education, it's a shame you have encountered negativity here.
  • Sholay09
    Oh no not any negativity on here Feir I mean in the outside world like college too and I really hate it and I want people to treat me more as an adult and to always be allowed to do what I want to do.
    S.York
  • feir
    Sorry by here i meant with your situation and when you've been discussing what you'd like to do in the future.

Brightness