Benefits nightmare — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits nightmare

Poppybabe
Poppybabe Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi everyone,  I'm a newbie and I'm really pleased to be here.
My problem is benefits.  I was awarded esa earlier this year through a tribunal prior to this it was a year of real challenge.  I had 3 mths without any money and my mental health nurse would go to the food bank for me.  Whilst I was waiting to go to tribunal I made a claim for PIP.  The benefits agency came out and assessed me and when I receive their decision i didn't score any points so now I am waiting to go to another tribunal.  I have just applied for another pip form as my condition has got worse.  I am in the process of trying to fill it in.  I am worried about what I put in the form i.e: I listen to the radio, because they just seem to use anything against you.  I really struggle with my mobility and my mental health and at the moment I am so stressed that the emergency mental heath team have had to be called out.  I just want a relief from this anxiety and frustration of not being believed by the dwp that I am now disabled.  I have post thrombotic syndrome.  I have collected as much evidence as I can, which was a real nightmare in of itself.  I have someone representing me but he takes a big chunk of my money and he is just very negative and doesn't help the situation at all.  But trying to get help and advice that you don't have to pay for has proved very, very difficult.  Has anyone else been in this situation and if so how did you get through it?

Comments

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m sorry. What rate of mobility were you receiving before? If you are on the top rate then you might have a case. Talk with your CAB about this. They should be able to help you cope with this. 
  • Poppybabe
    I have never received pip they keep turning me down.  It's impossible to get hold of anyone from CAB.  I currently receive the top rate for esa.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Poppybabe, hello and welcome to the community. When you fill in your PIP form put down the average days you have or most days or most of the times. Have you done a self test to see how you would fit into the PIP descriptors, and remember what ever you put down in your applecation form will have to be justified by yourself at your face to face  acessment. You wil be asked questions several different times and ways to find out just how you fit into the descriptors for point scoring system. Think before you answer, don't be arfaid to ask for the question to be repeated or pardon what do you mean.
  • April2018mom
    Why are you constantly turned down? When you get another claim form ask for advice on how to fill it out properly. Use one of those guides online to help you answer the questions properly or speak with a benefits advisor who can also be a good source of information. Make sure you send any required evidence with the paperwork. Read the questions carefully before you start filling it out. 
  • April2018mom
    Oh and give them lots of details. Disability Rights UK has a diary that might come in handy when completing the paperwork. 
  • Poppybabe
    Thank you April2018mom.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    There might be an organisation similar to CAB in your area, or local council welfare rights.  Mind Helpline might be able to help.

Remember, PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect you, not for the conditions themselves.  Your disabilities have to fit various descriptors.  Take a look at Disability Rights UK site.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    I agree with what you said about cant find help without paying alot of money to get mothing
    Iv asked on here before if there was a solicitor etc to give advice but moone knew of any
     Cab were hit & miss one man good he wasnt thete any of the other times we went
  • Poppybabe
    Hi Misscleo,

I know what you mean CAB are practically non exsistent now.  The chap I use took a third of my back pay when I won my esa tribunal and he'll take another third if I win my PIP but to be honest I wouldn't recommend him and I won't be using him again. I guess I'm learning more about how the system works the more I have to go to tribunal and the more I have to complete forms.  Unfortunately when you have a mental health issue it's difficult to read the information let alone take it in, it's just so exhausting. The CAB website is good for information and how to go about completing the forms.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Well said
    And i know ehat uou mean by if you have a mental problem you cant take info.in
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Why did you start another PIP claim if you're already waiting for a Tribunal for your first PIP claim? Any decision you have from DWP for your new PIP claim will over rule any decision made by the Tribunal. This is because the Tribunal is for your first claim and this new form is a completely new claim. Potentially the worst thing you could have done.
    I really do recommend you get help and advice with filling in that new PIP form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppybabe
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention poppy123456.  I have spoken to an advisor and I am in the process of cancelling this new claim.  Thanks again.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Poppybabe
    I called DWP to cancel my new pip claim.  It was hard work trying to get them to cancel it.  They really did not want me to withdraw it.  I was left really confused.  But I cancelled it in the end.  The benefit system is so complicated.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppybabe said:
    I called DWP to cancel my new pip claim.  It was hard work trying to get them to cancel it.  They really did not want me to withdraw it.  I was left really confused.  But I cancelled it in the end.  The benefit system is so complicated.
    I really hope this is true and the DWP have indeed canceled your new claim. Good luck with the Tribunal!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.