help and advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

help and advice

Options
TracyPike
TracyPike Community member Posts: 6 Listener
I have also posted this in the chronic pain adviser section.
i have been on ESA for many years and DWP have said i can work.  I appealed and have a date for tribunal on 1st August, i have been told i will get a yes or no while i am there.  I have suffered with depression since my mid teens i am now 38 and had to attend appointmenst at Prospect park hospital (mental health team) and CAT sessions that helped then but now finished and have no help now.  I have an issue with my spine, i have had an operation on spine and nerve root killer injections which has made it worse, i have been advised by my GP not to work and my crital care doctor has wrote a letter saying i shouldn't work for the foreseable future. I have been advised to have spinal fusion surgery but told i am too heavy for the funding.  I have been told DWP can appeal the decision if it goes in my favour.  I have no one to go with me to verify what i am saying and dreading attending the tribunal, any help and advice would be appreciated.  Also what is DAB please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,038 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The Tribunal don't always make a decision on the day of the hearing. If they don't then they will write to you within a couple of days. Did you send in more evidence other than your doctor saying you shouldn't work for the foreseable future? Taking someone with your to verify what you say isn't really going to help, this why evidence is very helpful. You can take someone with you to support you on the day but you'll have to answer all the questions.

If a decision does go in your favour and you're placed into one of the groups then DWP can appeal this yes but only if an error in law was made in making the decision. They first need to ask the Tribunal for the statement of reasons and they have 28 days to do this. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @TracyPike,

We have a lot of useful information about tribunals and the DWP appeals process on our website, which may be of use to you.

As for DAB, I'm afraid I'm not too sure what it stands for. I've had a quick look online and it may stand for Disability Advice Bureau?

In what context have you heard DAB being mentioned?
    Liam
  • TracyPike
    Options
    Hello Liam, you asked in what context i heard DAB, it was my sister who has multiple health issues and she advised that i contact them but i haven;t as yet.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @TracyPike,

Ah, it may be the Disability Advice Bureau, then! I can't say I've heard DAB being mentioned before, but it may be what your sister is referring to. :)
    Liam
  • TracyPike
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.