Housing cost element and LCW — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing cost element and LCW

sabbers
sabbers Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi there I've just been to the job centre.  I've been claiming UC for the past year and have not had to attend any work searches or commitments.  I have a joint claim with partner who earns enough, so we only get the housing cost element, which fluctuates according to his overtime.  Sometimes we get nothing other times about £100 odd.

I am unemployed and not claiming ESA because we're not entitled to it.  She has now set me my commitments of finding 16 hour a week job, I can travel 60 minutes to work, have to do 35 hours a week job search and attend regular meetings with my work coach.

I wrote back in my journal I have limited capability to work because of my disability.  (I know I have over 15 points and cannot walk or get up from a chair.)  She wrote back and said I can get a fit note from the doctors.

But do I even need one, I don't get any standard allowance or ESA?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Sabres, welcome it sounds as if you have a full time job looking for a job 35 hours a week and attend work meetings with your coach.its taking the **** excuse me. Get a fit note if your GP,will sign one and how long for your not ill  as such what do the DWP,people expect you to do. Keep posting Sabres some other members may be of more help than me.
  • sabbers
    Hi Wilko

I don't have a full time job, my partner does.  My work coach has just given me some ridiculous commitments she wants me to agree to, despite me turning up to my review today in my wheelchair.  And not asking me anything about my condition or checking her computer about our claim.  We don't even get ESA, JSA or IS.

I don't have the energy to look for work and go to the dr's and then the job centre.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    @sabbers it's entirely up to you, as you don't get any sort of ESA payment apart from Housing benefit element?

The answer is if you could manage without claiming it would cut out all the bulls**t they want you to do. Or it seems you just gonna go around in circles. As

@wilko has stated their "taking the ****" nicely put a classic example of what I think too.

I don't doubt your entitled to some help but it seems at a cost of looking for work etc. If it was me and could manage I would tell them exactly where to shove it.

Im waiting an ESA outcome and decided if I'm placed in that work **** I will call it a day is I also have no chance on coping on UC or JSA.

Good luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• sabbers
    @Governments_A_Joke have you calculated your descriptors? If you feel you will have limited capability for work and should be in support group, do appeal it.  Calling it a day is exactly what they want.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    sabbers said:
    @Governments_A_Joke have you calculated your descriptors? If you feel you will have limited capability for work and should be in support group, do appeal it.  Calling it a day is exactly what they want.

@sabbers thanks, but I've sent the ESA50 form back over 5 weeks and Maximus have had it along with pleanty of old and updated funtional evidence and diagnosis, also I'm in the Support group atmo.

Im pushing for the exemption category as I fit all that's required to be put in, Ive always been in the support group No FTF, and if something goes wrong this time and refused ESA support group I will live of my PIP Enhanced again No FTF  ongoing,  and I will and cannot sign any work commitments for JSA, UC. And claim under nil income.

If o have to o will live on the streets but I will cause such a fuss and I won't go down easy that's for sure. I paid enough into the system like many have. Now they will help me.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• sabbers
    Okay, well I hope you get awarded your ESA.  Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    sabbers

Just a thought.

Your ESA claim will be crediting your national insurance account with credits each week - if you get a full year's worth, this counts towards your eventual state pension. You need 35 years of contributions to get a full state pension. 

If you already have these, you don't need your ESA claim for anything at all. 

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.