Changing from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Changing from DLA to PIP

reetmilly
reetmilly Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi
I have been claiming DLA higher rate since 2004 the benefit has always been used for a motorbility car which has enabled me to carry on working until I retired this year. The benefit has given me quality of life. I was supported in my application by my GP and Consultant at the time.
 I am now having to claim for PIP my health conditions remain the same. I was diagnosed with in 2004 with an under active thyroid fibromyalgia and severe arthritis.
since then I have had two shoulder operations one knee replacement and am due to have another knee replacement. My recovery takes much longer due to fibromyalgia my energy levels are compromised which impacts on my walking. 
I am worried the DWP don’t view fibromyalgia as a disability even though it is well documented as a systemic disease often accompanying other health conditions.
 I am confident my GP and current consultant would support my application. I would so like to hear from other people who have been in a similar situation and what would be the best way forward. I have to the 9th August to apply the Citizens Advice Bureau were very helpful the last time I claimed.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello  @reetmilly   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing your story. Understand there will be members of our community who have similar circumstances. To your self.

Who will be touch in the future.  All I can add we are a supportive community who care and share.

May I also add have a look under Talk about Specific Conditions for information and advice. Comments from community members.  Talk chat and debate.

Add to that look at Talk about PIP may be useful.

Also I wish you the best in your PIP application. I would at the same time as you have done. Consult CAB  and Welfare rights.  As the benefits system is so complex.

They have a wealth of knowledge and expertise. Having been through the PIP assessment stage myself.

If any problems I am sure a member of our team can advise further on the above number 0808 800 3333.  If that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @reetmilly and a very warm welcome to the community. Thank you very much for sharing your story with us today. It is a daunting when applying for benefits and I hope the community is able to support you during this time. You may find the DLA and PIP board particularly interesting and useful :)
    Also, there is a PIP self- test online which you can do. This will give you an indication of the award you may receive. However, please do take this with a pinch of salt as the assessor may put you in different categories. 
    Fibromyalgia is a disability. Although, PIP is tested on the impact it has on your life, regardless of a diagnosis or not. This means that it would purely look at the limitations you face. I wish you the very best of luck with your claim and please do keep in touch :)
    If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask!
    Scope

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @reetmilly. Welcome to the community. 

Thank you for telling your story. There is a self assessment tool for the benefit online for people to use. It will give you a general idea of what rates you should be receiving. Just remember that it is not always accurate. As some conditions are oscillating be aware responses are different. Like DLA PIP is not means tested. The questions are about what difficulties you face day to day not on what you know about your condition. Please do keep us updated. Best wishes. 

And good luck with your claim!! If you are likely to struggle please do seek assistance to answer the questions properly. There are published guides online that can help you answer the questions carefully and to the best of your ability. 
  • reetmilly
    Thank you everyone for your supportive posts. You have reiterated my thoughts. I will be speaking to health professionals involved and will ask them to support my application. I also intend to meet with Citizens Advice Bureau. It is so good to know you are all supporting me. Will you posted.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @reetmilly and I wish you the very best of luck!
    Scope

• reetmilly
    Thank you I will keep you posted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.