ON LINE SHOPPING A NEW EXPERIENCE — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ON LINE SHOPPING A NEW EXPERIENCE

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body  so tired shopping and especially the main one. For food I am tired of the queues and the constant comments and the why are you like this.

The crowds and trying to get what you want and need to live on.  I have a enough to contend with. As I know many of our community do. Absolutely ridiculous and just lately.

Think and stop being silly. Pushing and barging in queues, fighting for what they need.  One of the discounters is having a refit. Lady in my face having a hissy fit where is the butter, milk and eggs need it now. Literally shouting at me.  Because chiller cabinet shut down.

So me the gentleman have mine I get some more later. The moaning and groaning to my friend who supports me. Said to me do it on line your shopping.  Be a lot easier.  Went through the usual steps of applying and what you need.

So I have and well it is marvellous and really rather relaxing and I just thought tell you all about it.

Some may be scared and others well I do that all the time. Yes but a lot of the community are apprehensive and nervous.

Signed up other day. As long you have a VISA marked on a debit card you can do this.  Obviously a lot of these sites are secure. Some will ask you to pay on delivery with your card.

Lots of for me incentives no bag carrying and a charge. Take into consideration fuel costs your own and time.  Very reasonable.

Going through web pages and ticking what you require. All I can say.  No stress. That is the main thing. No stress at all.

So come next month or two another shop.  May be I will say one thing they all have limits and are free over certain amounts.

Will and do send you a email of your order and also add that to the order what you pay.  Also send you a email if any items they can not deliver.  Plus will contact you by phone. All helpful and useful.

Wonder why I did not do this before.
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Thanks for sharing, @thespiceman! It's great that you've found online shopping useful. :)
    Liam
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    I love online shopping. I virtually order all of my groceries and food via the Internet and have it delivered to my flat. Every year at Christmas I even buy stuff off of Amazon and it is sent to my flat as well. Mainly presents for family members. I still enjoy getting out of my small crowded place however I go to do my grocery shopping once a week at a nearby shop. Technology can fail at any time. I find that with online shopping it’s all too easy to overspend money if you are not careful enough. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @LiamO_Dell Please can I say on behalf of the community. Great to have you back.

I remember you when I first joined.    Thank you for support.

Hope you are doing OK.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman, thank you very much for your very kind words! It's good to be back.

I'm very well, thanks, and I hope you are too. :)
    Liam
  • GalDriver
    GalDriver Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    I recommend it to everyone.  <3
  • thespiceman
    Hello every body some final thoughts on shopping on line. Just thinking this afternoon. Have a list with you before you order. What do you need?  

Understand I have a stock list like the supermarkets. So I am always making sure I have a list of what I need.

Always making sure do I need.  Also have a budget. Use common sense.  Remember charges some  do charge so please be aware. To me this is the big thing. Yes I pay a charge but if I went today going to day by car exhausting and tiring so who is a winner chicken dinner lol.

Cost probably £10 in fuel. Plus the car parking. Time and energy. Last month by nine at supermarket forgot half the stuff. Frantic and sweaty. Even though had a list. Just too much.

So that is me sorted is it not.  For a couple of months. probably more than that.

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @thespiceman glad to hear that you are enjoying your online shopping.

We have been doing this for years and over all have been very happy with the service. It has also given us some laughs. No custard not a problem they used a similar product. Admittedly at the time receiving custard cream biscuits didn't seem that funny at the time. Or the Christmas we spent over £200 on food in one store and got two bags of shopping. Seems he gave our shopping to someone else, who then refused to return it to the driver so the store had to repick our order and we got it just after 10pm.

Sainsbury I do know charge for delivery, however if you shop with them regularly online you can pay for charges in advance using their delivery pass scheme. You save money on deliveries and if your deliveries costs come to less than the pass they give you a voucher for the difference so you don't lose.

The other thing we found is that it can be easier to save money in the long run. Buying the larger box of washing powder or comfort would not be an option for us but offer better value for money. 

Beyond grocery shopping as a family we do a lot of other shopping online. By paying £75 per year for amazon prime my daughter saves a fortune each year by herself on delivery costs, with some added bonuses like prime video. Though she does ocassionally get caught on import duties.

Hope you continue to enjoy your online shopping.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Quinlan1
    Quinlan1 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Without it I be Lost 
    they bring it into kitchen for me help with the Hevy stuff cat food  I got no care person saying do you need that or that looks nice try that saying no does not help at times 
    plus I not tried can order for next day and I budget better
  • bevt2017
    bevt2017 Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
    Hi @thespiceman

Im so glad to hear you have started to do your online shopping. ?
    It's so easy to do, and less stress for you too.
    I always use online shopping, I would be lost without it.

Talk to you soon
    Bev x
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Geoark   Great to hear from you. Hope you are OK. 

Please can I thank you for wise words. I have used to the first time Iceland. Have and did go to their store . Tucked away on an industrial estate so far away and my legs hurt driving.

When you live in a rural back water. Shopping such a drag. So have when I got back shopping one day ,decided with much consultation have a look around.

Am a Clubcard member so use TESCO and Iceland at the moment with ASDA as well if I wish to.

Thing is sign of memory forgetting passwords so need to say to myself . Limit myself. Have my own ways as well.  To remember. All helps though.

Do realise the need for this though.  See how it goes.  Also do know need to budget as I said.  All seems easy and well as you do in any shop get carried away. So make out a list as I was shopping.

Thanks very much . Speak to you soon.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @bevt2017   Thank you for kind supportive words.

I am grateful to you

Thank you

Your friend

speak soon

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • GalDriver
    GalDriver Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
    Hi Spiceman,

I've been using online supermarket shopping for a few years now and mostly just shop from my list of favourites so it's LESS tempting than being in store. Good luck with it. I can't remember passwords well, either, so I store them in a document under a fictitious name. Works for me.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman, online is less stressful definitely.

iv been shopping online for various things but since my MH problems have worsened Iv been doing my grocery shopping online too. I usually forget what Iv ordered so it’s a surprise when it comes.

I even order my dogs food and things he need from an online pet shop.

• thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Thanks for comments and yes must check what I have bought before getting the goods. I know from what I read some people ask for certain food items but get other stuff not requested.

I assume will read what they do. Again under rules and regulations.  I assume will wait till I check . If any issues I hope be some what patient and tolerant.

Will write down on the Email I get . The precise food I have asked for.

Do not have a printer so have and wait and see.

Thanks very much hope you are OK.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman, Iv once experienced a problem, ordered a bag of thick sausages (frozen) and got 2 bags of thin sausages lol, plenty sausages in my freezer.

A tip also a friend told me, if you received food and the expiry date is short, email or call them and tell them your not happy and you should get refunded for the item or items.

Im doing ok, hope you are too 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Thanks for useful information. This useful to know. Am a newbie is it you call it.  Just new to all this. So am a bit apprehensive.

Should be OK I will I know that you are not happy will refund or help.  By contacting them.

After all they want you to be happy.

Am doing OK just like you small steps remember.  You know if you want to chat you know where am here.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness