Wanting to attempt employment, if it doesn't work would ESA be hard to get back? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wanting to attempt employment, if it doesn't work would ESA be hard to get back?

JITENDRA
JITENDRA Community member Posts: 2 Listener
hello everyone
I am new here so a bit nervous 
What I would like to know is that I am a mental health service user and I am on ESA in a support group. I have been on it for more than 12 years and today, I would like to find out about the option if I go into work. I am also getting DLA but I think work will help me to get out of my house and reduce isolation. but I am too scared to take that step, what if I didn't like the job and found it too stressful. if the work don't work for me and if I come off the benefits, it would really put me in terrible position. any advice?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JITENDRA and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you for joining :) This does seem like a difficult decision but it is great that it is something that you are thinking about. I hope the community can advise you further. You may find the mental health, employment, ESA and DLA boards particularly helpful :)
    Also, have you looked at the Scope's employment service? They may be able to advise a little more.
    If you do need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask! :)
    Scope

• thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    Honestly be flexible and careful. Have you looked at disability employment services? They should be able to help you find a good job. Feel free to ask any other questions here. Good luck with your job hunting. Hopefully you’ll find something soon. What are your skills and abilities? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you thought about permitted work? You can work less than 16 hours per week and still keep your ESA. This way you can at least try working and if you can't cope then you can stop and your ESA won't be affected. If you stopped claiming ESA and started working now and you couldn't cope and your area is a full Universal Credit area then a rapid reclaim for ESA may not be possible.

Check what's in your area here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JITENDRA
    JITENDRA Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks everyone for your comment, really appreciate and you are right, have to be very careful

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.