Resignation letter due to mobility problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Resignation letter due to mobility problems

ceege4
ceege4 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
edited July 2018 in Work and employment
Hi All 

Hope you are all well.

Has anyone had to resign from their job due to mobility problems? I need to do this but have no idea of how to put the letter together. If anyone has a sample letter or knows where I can find one please let me know.

I want to keep it brief and to the point but every draft I do, I write my life story!

Thank you all for any help you can give me.

Ceege4

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ceege4 and thank you for coming to the community about this. I do hope that someone is able to help with this. I understand that this must have been a really difficult decision. I hope that leaving your job will give you some relief and help you to manage your mobility. Please do keep us updated :)
    Scope

• ceege4
    Hi Chloe

Many thanks for your post.

I've thought long and hard about this and it wasn't an easy decision but once the letter is sent I will feel much better.

Regards 

Ceege4
  • Chloe_Scope
    Yeah I know what you are saying @ceege4! It is a big step but you should be proud of yourself for listening to your body and acknowledging that work is too much at the moment. Have you looked at applying for ESA?
    Scope

• ceege4
    Thank you @Chloe_Scope. I'm giving 4 weeks notice which will take me to August 24th. Do you know when I should apply for ESA? My doctor is supporting decision.

Ceege4
  • Chloe_Scope
    No problem at all @ceege4. Here is some information about the ESA process which tells you how to apply, it is great that your doctor is supporting this!
    Scope

• ceege4
    Hi @Username_removed thank you for your reply. Talks have been suggested but I work on a very large campus and it's just too much for me to walk around now. Even if my job role changed, or I went part time, it would still be too much walking to get from offices to just get a coffee let alone toilet facilities and meeting rooms. I'm 63 now and just won my 18 month battle with PIP after taking them to a tribunal so I have plenty of medical evidence to support my resignation. My doctor is also supporting this as well.
    Best regards
    Ceege4
  • LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    ceege4

I had to give up work due to disabilities but lucky i was only freelance so i was able to 'just not go in'. I still wrote a letter to say i would be not coming in again which is sort of the same thing. I dont know how much your work know, i had told mine a lot which helped when leaving. My letter said:

Dear xxxx

I would like to take this opportunity to inform you of my decision to cease work with yourselves in the capacity of xxx.

As you are aware i have various medical diagnoses and have continued to work within my role using the adjustments available to me. After recent changes to my condition i feel the practicalities of my position is no longer viable and i feel now is an appropriate time to leave my role and the company.

I would like to thank you for all the support that has been provided by yourself and the company during this time.

Kind regards,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for. Of course it would need to be adapted at the beginning to say resign and give the time period i.e 4 weeks notice.

With regards your ESA question if you apply after leaving work they ask for a copy of your P45 (i guess nothing has changed) so you can apply after you receive that.

Good luck.

• ceege4
    Hi @LittleGizmo86
    Thank you for your reply and the letter. It was really helpful. I have put a letter together now and will post it later.
    Thank you also for the help on ESA. I will look into this when I receive my P45.
    Best regards
    Ceege4
  • LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi @ceege4

No problem at all. Good luck with everything ?

Brightness