Advice needed on ESA change to JSA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice needed on ESA change to JSA

Options
mhm87
mhm87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi i usually get ESA contribution  based but a recent change of cirumstances (husband became my carer). My husband is waiting on his income support claim & i have changed fully to ESA contribution. I have no been paid JSA instead of ESA. I have made NO claim for JSA. 
Any advise would be grateful. 
Thank you :)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Have you had a letter confirming this? Sometimes if a payment has been made manually then it will have the name JSA next to it in your bank. This doesn't mean that you've changed to JSA. You can't be found fit for work without an assessment and they won't just automatically switch you to JSA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @mhm87 and a warm welcome to the community! Like @poppy123456 has said, did you get a confirmation letter regarding ESA?
    I hope you find the community a supportive place and please have a look around and get involved with discussion. If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch! :)

Scope

• mhm87
    mhm87 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    No i havent received any correspondence from them and im feeling very confused. 
    Thanks for your replies, really appreciate it :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,243 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will be a manual payment. They are open until 6pm give them a ring, that way it will put your mind at rest. Like i said you can't be found fit for work without an assessment and if you've recently been re-assessed and found fit for work they wouldn't just transfer you to JSA automatically. It doesn't work like that.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Options
    Don't want to upset the apple cart as they say, but I have occasionally seen payments in people's bank accounts that say "JSA" next to  them, when they tell me they haven't claimed JSA.

First time I saw this I too said "This doesn't make sense, you don't get paid a benefit you haven't claimed".  

But I think from memory it can occur when someone is found "not to have limited capability for work".

I completely agree with Poppy, it doesn' t make sense. 

Only sensible solution is to get in touch with ESA,  then JSA departments of DWP and express your mystified concern.

Ask them to explain!!

Good luck

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.