Stopped getting methadone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stopped getting methadone

Options
mrP
mrP Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2018 in Cerebral palsy
I am a quadrapleagic male of 50 years of age. I am on many different types of pain controls. I was also methadone the prescribing doctor stopped my prescription at 70 millalitres per day without amy sort of detox, is this legal?

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    Oh God! How are you doing? I'm sorry, I don't know if it is legal, but it must be hell to suddenly be taken off methadone cold turkey. Did he say why?
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    I fear that the "opiate panic" in the US is slowly spreading to the UK. I don't know if that has anything to do with @mrP losing their methadone, obviously. This could just be my paranoia. The last time I saw my GP, though, he told me that he's getting increasing pressure to prescribe less opioids.

I realise that people get addicted to opiates/opioids, and that some people die as a result, and that's horrendous. However, in some parts of the US chronic pain patients are having a great deal of trouble getting pain meds, and often have to go without. I'm terrified that the same thing will happen here. 

People with chronic pain aren't usually problem patients in terms of addiction. Dependency, yes. You can't avoid that if you're taking large quantities of these meds on a regular basis for a long time. But dependency can be broken by going off the meds for a few days/weeks (in a measured, safe way, not like what happened to @mrP !). The withdrawal is unpleasant, but it's just a physical dependency, not a psychological one.

(Sometimes I wonder.... Even if we do get addicted, we're going to be on these meds for a long time. For many of us (including me), opioids are the only thing that control the pain enough that we can have some kind of life. So long as we keep the doses down, by whatever means, is it a terrible thing if we do get addicted? I dunno, what do you guys think?)

Anyway, I've been off tramadol for 2 days (one of my occasional make-sure-you're-not-getting-too-dependent breaks), and aside from a bit of sweating, I'm fine. Well, my pain is pretty bad, but I can deal if it's just for a few days. 

However, the idea of the rest of my life without opioids... Going through multiple back spasms a week without tramadol would make my life unlivable. I wouldn't have a life. It wouldn't be worth it.

Is it just me ? Am I being paranoid? Anybody else?
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Options
    Probably a little paranoid. I think unless better medication comes out then they won't ban or stop using other medications as there's no need to. The risks that come with them now are far less than the benefits overall.

We know a lot about the brain and addiction now. I think it will be possible to have pain killers that are not even addictive in the future. And as we gain more psychological knowledge to go with the physical it seems even more likely.

Brightness