Wendy Wilkinson — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wendy Wilkinson

Options
wendyw
wendyw Community member Posts: 2 Listener
could anyone help me. I have to pay back this years PIP payments and my PIP will now cease. This is because a Dr admitted that he failed to inform me about the risks of radiotherapy and I suffered severe damage. I have received a little compensation but it does not allow for any on going future care.  I am worried about the future. This is worrying me. Can anyone help me please. I don’t understand as my care needs have not changed and will never change Thank you in advance. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This sounds complex, i would advise you to ring your local CAB for further advice. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    wendyw said:
    could anyone help me. I have to pay back this years PIP payments and my PIP will now cease. This is because a Dr admitted that he failed to inform me about the risks of radiotherapy and I suffered severe damage. I have received a little compensation but it does not allow for any on going future care.  I am worried about the future. This is worrying me. Can anyone help me please. I don’t understand as my care needs have not changed and will never change Thank you in advance. Any suggestions welcome.
    Is this a medical negligence claim? Is the PIP having to be repaid due to the insurance settlement? If so this should have been/is being dealt with by your solicitor.

It is true that Compensation Recovery does allow for certain benefits to be reclaimed when a settlement figure is being calculated. 
    In other words you aren't allowed to be paid twice for the same injury.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wendyw, just wanted to say hello and welcome to the community, and I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences.

As the others have said, with it being a complex issue it may be best to talk directly to CAB about this, or perhaps ring our Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333, to see if they can advise. Please do keep us updated, and wishing you all the best.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.