Going to PIP Tribunal — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Going to PIP Tribunal

Shauners
Shauners Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Probably very busy here I'll keep it short.
I have been refused enhanced rate mobility and given standard. I have been on enhanced mobility DLA for 5 years previously. The reason I wasn't given enhanced was that on the majority of days I could walk the required distance. Do they judge you on your best days? The majority of days? 7 out of 30 days per month I'm prone with sciatica and severe spinal arthritis. They acknowledge this and no medical evidence is in dispute. By taking my enhanced rate away and finance for a car I'm basically locked in at home. I cannot use a chair to get to a bus stop as it aggravates the condition. Any advice...because I'm disabled and cannot walk the required distance 7 out of 30 days is this fair.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Shauners said:
    Probably very busy here I'll keep it short.
    I have been refused enhanced rate mobility and given standard. I have been on enhanced mobility DLA for 5 years previously. The reason I wasn't given enhanced was that on the majority of days I could walk the required distance. Do they judge you on your best days? The majority of days? 7 out of 30 days per month I'm prone with sciatica and severe spinal arthritis. They acknowledge this and no medical evidence is in dispute. By taking my enhanced rate away and finance for a car I'm basically locked in at home. I cannot use a chair to get to a bus stop as it aggravates the condition. Any advice...because I'm disabled and cannot walk the required distance 7 out of 30 days is this fair.
    PIP and DLA are totally different. For PIP it's how you are at least 50% of the time. Because on the majority of the days you can walk the required distance and state that only 7 of the days out of 30 days you wouldn't be able to walk the distance, then i'm afraid you won't qualify for Enhanced mobility going purely by what you stated here. If you had problems walking the distance for at least 15 out of 30 days then you may stand a chance but not with just 7 days.

Sorry its not better news for you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Nova
    Nova Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi shauners Sorry to hear about your disappointment about not getting the higher rate pip..l myself are in so much pain with the arthritis in my bottom some days l can't sit down and l have only been out of the house four times this year .Unless you can get these so called experts to believe you your flogging a dead horse l only recently had my appointment and was awarded the stranded rate after going for it the second time .l would love to see these so called experts who decides who should get what rate .lm two scared to go out  because lm in so much pain with my back and bottom my bum changes like the weather one day its soft so I can sit on it and the next day its hard and feels like I've pebbles in side I m 64 and  sometimes l can't speak proper because I'm in so much pain and no one knows what pain  l m feeling but me l know young people who are working and who are getting the higher rate pip .like I said who decides the system is totally unfair when l read on my points letter what I got them for it said because l still had my faculties and could string two words together l wasn't that bad ..All l can say is keep fighting for it  if you have the strength unlike myself  and good luck.

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @shauners,

Have you considered appealing the decision? We have lots of information about mandatory reconsiderations and the DWP appeals process on our website.

Hope this helps!
    Liam

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.