What if I can't make my appeal due to surgery? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What if I can't make my appeal due to surgery?

Options
Lucysam25
Lucysam25 Community member Posts: 35 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have been to the hospital today about my Contdition  my consultant said i must have a new hip replacement  because my hip is detereating fast watch this space i will get a letter saying you have date for the appeal what if i can't go  what would happen 

Comments

• Tucks
    Tucks Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I have had a total hip replacement.  Push your self and do lots of physio after you have had yours. They are great. As they are a hip replacement, they have no nerves connected. No nerves,  no pain. It's great.
  • Paddock59
    Paddock59 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Make sure you do all your physio as if the scarr tissue forms around the joint you may as well not had the operation. Mine works perfectly well just watch you don't over do things just do what the physio asks.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Lucysam25,

If I've understood this correctly, you don't have an appeal date yet, but you are expecting one.

If the letter from HMCTS turns up and you can't make the date of your appeal, just make sure you tell them as soon as it's clear that you can't make the date. The hearing can be postponed. The important thing is to keep them informed - don't just fail to turn up. You should write to them before the hearing date & say you don't want the hearing to go ahead without you and ask for a postponement. Then you should follow this up with a phone call to check whether the postponement has been granted.

The tribunal don't have to grant a postponement but in this case I'd be really surprised if they didn't. Remember the tribunal can only look at how things were on the date of the decision you are appealing against. If you find you are more able to do things after the hip replacement, you must tell the DWP.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Make sure that you keep up with exercises. Ask your physical therapist to recommend a home therapy schedule for you that works. Remember that the hearing can be postponed and tell them you cannot make the appointment. Then follow up with a phone call or letter to check. Ring the number provided on the letter. Explain things clearly. Good luck. If the procedure does make a big difference in your ability inform them immediately. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.