Night Owls — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Night Owls

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
for those of us wide awake when the rest of the world is asleep. Just a place to chat to fellow night owls. Why are you awake during the night?

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiedo49 Great this. Am very rarely up in the night. Thing is there are a lot of issues around sleep. Understand if you are a lark. Early riser or a Night Owl.

Night Owl can not sleep the inability to sleep.  The lack of sleep.

Have to say a lot of it is maybe insomnia.  Which can be treated. I myself used to go to bed late could not sleep up and about.

Lot of it lifestyle, food and drink.  Medication and a number of factors including mental health, certain illness and other problems such as chronic pain.  Also what does not help is thinking about sleep. Example of this is now. People are hot and tired and feel sleepy.

Can not sleep due to the weather.  Humid nights.  Which I understand

One solution for me is to prepare for sleep as if you were going to bed.

Am in bed by nine or just after. Yet this is me and I have trained myself to do this over a number of years. Try to wind down and do certain things help. Especially diet wise.

Understand not for every body but it does take some time.  Be patient do a diary why do I can not sleep. What are the things preventing me.

One prime example is diet each a spicy heavy laden meal. Your body will not have time to adjust and digest that meal. Especially too close till bedtime. Understand another question what time is bedtime. How many hours sleep do I need.?

As we get older we need less sleep.  The brain functions sleeps so if you go to bed after watching a film. Your brain is wired is it not. Not going to sleep. Ideal time is when your mind and body relaxed and stress free.

Often have music on soothing types, some toast whole meal and honey.   Last thing around eight thirty maybe a bit later. If I can not sleep. With my meal around seven with my meds around half past.  Good couple hours or more.

Get up wander around if not sleepy have a sit try to find something boring on TV if that helps.  News or put a music on or warm milk with honey in it works.

Certain foods work as well. That contain Tryptophan an enzyme that are found in foods.  That helps and aids sleep.  Examples of this is in lean meat ,figs, nuts, dairy foods and tuna..  Tuna also contains Vitamin B Niacin another one to aids sleep.

Nuts like Walnuts contain Melatonin a hormone that regulates sleep patterns.

I often eat at end of a meal either fruit, whole meal bread and nuts usually Walnuts or Almonds. Or a Yoghurt with fruit and Fennel Seeds aids digestion.

Carbohydrate foods like pasta, rice and bread especially the whole grain types.  Remember if you eat a pasta salad at lunch. Always sends me to sleep so have beans and pasta at night-time.

Beans on toast and on a baked potato can help as well.

Bananas have serotonin which is a chemical released in to the bloodstream known to induce sleep.

Hope that helps.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    Great advice, will try this thanks 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbiedo49, Iv got insomnia so on sleeping tablets but I still have trouble sleeping.

I cannot seem to switch my brain off. I’m exhausted but can’t sleep without meds.

Even that sleep isn’t restful. 

Iv tried so so many things but with no luck, I hope your doing ok 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Good to hear from you. Sorry you are not sleeping good even with meds.

Often we to look at why and how to get to sleep. May I suggest doing a sleep diary.

Thinking of sleep is not helpful and insomnia is a health condition 

Looking at your bedroom is it hot or cool.  Do you need to look at certain environments. Noisy and too light . 

Brain is wired and wont stop thinking. Is there somethings you need to say before bed. I often find writing down what I need to say. Have a big jotter . Get it written down.

If that helps.

Understand am not a Doctor or medical person but had basically a lot of issues sleeping. Due to my lifestyle plus addiction and other factors.

If I get stressed sleep walk which on the last assessment something I did disclose to the horror of the assessor.

Imagine waking up. To find the house in disarray all I can say. Lots of that is stress.

So find the stress cause and consider how to deal with it.

I know I have said certain advice in previous posts to @debbiedo49 .

A lot of this helpful and useful and is current sort of information I know and have researched.  Have you tried any of those.

Because I know that our Doctors are there but can not help with every thing.

Always here if I can help both of you.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    I am doing okay thanks @s@susan48
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @debbiedo49 Great this. Am very rarely up in the night. Thing is there are a lot of issues around sleep. Understand if you are a lark. Early riser or a Night Owl.

Night Owl can not sleep the inability to sleep.  The lack of sleep.

Have to say a lot of it is maybe insomnia.  Which can be treated. I myself used to go to bed late could not sleep up and about.

Lot of it lifestyle, food and drink.  Medication and a number of factors including mental health, certain illness and other problems such as chronic pain.  Also what does not help is thinking about sleep. Example of this is now. People are hot and tired and feel sleepy.

Can not sleep due to the weather.  Humid nights.  Which I understand

One solution for me is to prepare for sleep as if you were going to bed.

Am in bed by nine or just after. Yet this is me and I have trained myself to do this over a number of years. Try to wind down and do certain things help. Especially diet wise.

Understand not for every body but it does take some time.  Be patient do a diary why do I can not sleep. What are the things preventing me.

One prime example is diet each a spicy heavy laden meal. Your body will not have time to adjust and digest that meal. Especially too close till bedtime. Understand another question what time is bedtime. How many hours sleep do I need.?

As we get older we need less sleep.  The brain functions sleeps so if you go to bed after watching a film. Your brain is wired is it not. Not going to sleep. Ideal time is when your mind and body relaxed and stress free.

Often have music on soothing types, some toast whole meal and honey.   Last thing around eight thirty maybe a bit later. If I can not sleep. With my meal around seven with my meds around half past.  Good couple hours or more.

Get up wander around if not sleepy have a sit try to find something boring on TV if that helps.  News or put a music on or warm milk with honey in it works.

Certain foods work as well. That contain Tryptophan an enzyme that are found in foods.  That helps and aids sleep.  Examples of this is in lean meat ,figs, nuts, dairy foods and tuna..  Tuna also contains Vitamin B Niacin another one to aids sleep.

Nuts like Walnuts contain Melatonin a hormone that regulates sleep patterns.

I often eat at end of a meal either fruit, whole meal bread and nuts usually Walnuts or Almonds. Or a Yoghurt with fruit and Fennel Seeds aids digestion.

Carbohydrate foods like pasta, rice and bread especially the whole grain types.  Remember if you eat a pasta salad at lunch. Always sends me to sleep so have beans and pasta at night-time.

Beans on toast and on a baked potato can help as well.

Bananas have serotonin which is a chemical released in to the bloodstream known to induce sleep.

Hope that helps.
    I’ll try these. Great advice- thanks. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @April2018mom Thank you for commenting on the advice I given for sleep. Lots of this is information I have used myself.

Also remember the need for patience and tolerance. Over a period needs to be adjusted your sleep.  Why I suggested sleep diary you can say .

That is working that is not.  Over seven days 

By way one vital mistake people make is about weekend lie in or sleep late and then expect come Monday night body and brain or in unison.

Afraid not body to sleep and all the information advice is seven days continuous.

One other bit of information we need in about couple of months or more. Body clock you have will be out of sync. Due to darker nights and brighter mornings. So to adjust that need to change times you go to bed. Regular bedtimes and routine work. I am one myself for this have to be.

When you take meds need to take as per instructions. I  say take with meal two hours do it before bedtime.  Your normal time adjust that.   Note in diary the times you take meds.

Bit of inspiration for your all. Have and do not need alarm clock on. Body clock wakes me up around six or a bit earlier. Usual time I set alarm for morning.

Wind down around nine so if there is a programme on TV have to stop and think can I stay up for another half hour or do I sacfrice my good work.  Options are want a good nights sleep or be wide wake with insomnia.

Wish you all the best

Am here if you wish to ask me anything or help and advice. Not a Doctor just a gent concern with his health.  Well being.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    I’m sorry I’m too scared lol. Hey it’s thundering like crazy where am I and pouring with rain yippee it’s cooler now and might be better for sleeping! 
    No seriously I tend to sleep for 3/4 hours then wake up but sometimes I get 6 hours and that’s a treat! I know it’s not my normal as I used to sleep for great lengths of time and loved it. The only thing that worries me is the long term effects on my health as my body and mind don’t always get the sleep needed to repair. But really it’s horrible waking up at 3 am and not being able to get back to sleep. Now I don’t try to force myself I just try something relaxing and hope for the best. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @debbiedo49 This is a common problem with sleep waking up and not getting back to sleep. Things are troubling your mind. Please do not worry understand this.

I have a solution it is this. Understand if you think of your favourite place. Could be a beach or some other place mine is a warm sunny meadow.

So you picture yourself lying down and close your eyes. Think of the surroundings the flowers, the bees and warm sunshine. Let your body relax. First your legs and arms feel heavy and just think of happy times . The birds are singing and now the eyes are closed.

Count down from ten slowly.  Keep counting breathing in and out relaxing think nice thoughts by three you should be sleepy.

Remember this takes a while.  

Options other ones is to get up and just sit in a dark room and think of something pleasant and relaxing. Have a piece of wholemeal toast with honey. Plus a cup of hot milk in the microwave few seconds not boiling just warm with that. Combination of the tryptophan and serotine in the milk and bread trigger the brain to start sleep.

I had this a lot and even yes the thunderstorms or other noises may distract you. Understand I went  be around 8.30 tired but not sleepy so did this self hypnosis trick.

Not heard a thing. So it does take some time. Please to get a good night sleep, consider some of the options.  I have suggested.

Have to say whether said this before because of my addiction in the past. Had my days switched around. Plus diet and the rest.  So like now I would be sleep all day except anything essential and my nights be up around. Midnight to early morning then around say eight or earlier to bed a sleep. Awful times body, diet and mental state.

Had to go to sleep clinics and the long journey began. To adjust my mind and body.

Simple things never go to bed hungry, having meals to close to bedtime.  Having caffeine like tea or coffee close to bedtime does not work either.

It is a trial and tribulation I can feel the pain and troubles you have been through.  There is misnomer around sleep the eight hours.  The body will be as we age need less but takes time adjusting. Also it is to each individual person.

I have been to all over the place to just sleep.  Even one time booking myself into hotels and other places. to just sleep. Because I thought my environment was not inclusive to my sleep patterns.

Another story for another time.

So done my own research and used a diary.  Your local well being support group run by the councils. Who deal with everything health wise been on their courses. Loads of them. Mainly diet and lifestyle.

Please have look. You are of course be nervous but courses are usually run by ladies and full of ladies like yourself. I was often the only gent.

Got a lot of my qualifications through them. Now to use to help myself and others who have troubling problems  Relating to lifestyle and sleep and the rest.

My interest in herbs and spices.  Talking of herbs. Camomile teas are a good thing to consider.

Hope any of this helps. Sorry if went on. For a long post. Just  gent concerned for a lady who is a valuable member of our community .

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    since I was born I have not slept more than 4 hours in a 24 hour period, so I am used to it. After having children for the first year or there abouts I needed extra sleep about 6 hours a day but been back to normal ever since. That how every knows when I am ill, I sleep. I can honestly say I sit and knit or sew or read, just what ever but the husband banned me from washing, hoovering or anything that might wake him lol, so that only starts after 7am. He has also banned me from doing housework after 9 that might be loud, he thinks it is the only way I will sit at peace lol
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • debbiedo49
  • debbiedo49
    I think once I’m back into a routine I will sleep better. Recently I’ve been sleeping better with a pillow at my side which means I’m flatter as well. I think it’s to do with pain management. I have very sore neck from fibro and I’ve just been putting up with it. I find using a heat pack can help this. So anyway I’ve been waking early and taking my meds and falling asleep again for 4 hours of intense sleep lol. There is also very poor sound insulation between our flats and my upstairs neighbour is up and down at all hours so I have to remember to play music low in my bedroom so I don’t hear them as bad or get startled awake. The joys! 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @debbiedo49 Good morning how are you great to hear. That you getting into a routine. This is good.

All I can add keep up the excellent work and you will get there. One bit advice on meds take them with food.

Usually things like I have suggested before . About at least 2 or 3 hours before bedtime.  Because I would take them . Literally before I went to bed.  Did not really work.

So Doctor said take them around evening meal and will kick in.

Just a useful tip. Hope that helps.

Speak soon

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Thanks for the great tips thespiceman. 

Finding my around the community. 

The best quotation I ever found and love is: 

I am not so much of a Night Owl, but a permently exhausted pigeon. 

Very true for me, my raging Tinnitus 24/7 in both ears at different levels is drown or masked out during the day with my hearing aids with built in Tinnitus maskers, but as soon  as they are out " the hell begins" 

I have a tinnitus machine, which I bought with birthday money from Hi Kent Hearing Loss charity locally, a great machine which plays didferedisound cards, relaxation, nature, etc, but even with CBT therapy, it helped for a while, but  once awake I start worrying and overthinking things because of my anxiety and depression. Nights  are indeed interesting - that combined with my husband's snoring!! ? 

P x
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @Mumof2ds when you start worrying do you have something to make you think stop, and then a few lines of thought to help you move on? I mean when you realise you are over thinking and start to worry do you have a list of things you can then think about that could help I suppose in a way by pass those thoughts?
    maybe you could think of something to replace the thoughts such as the formation of bubbles or spider poop. Next time you feel the thoughts coming on pick something that will distract you, I can not help with husband snoring but I heard a pillow works wonders lol
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • Mumof2ds
    Hi . 
    Just found this fishingmum!

I have just finished six weeks of hour long sessions for counselling therapy, free through my local mental health charity.  That has got a few things into perspective definately, but loads going on up there with my remaining brain cell. ? 

My Tinnitus kicks in as mentioned as soon as I take out my hearing aids. 

My husband has incredibly long drives to and from work daily, so poor guy is mentally and physically exhausted so although he falls asleep quickly and snores, he too then wakes and cannot  sleep. We seem to take it in turns being awake. 

My therapist thinks part of it for me, is with both sons having asthma night times I've always slept so lightly, listening out for them in years gone by, and was always up four or five times per night with his asthma. 

So although his inhalers have been changed and he's been sleeping through for the last two years or so I then got poorly, and itsi now kind of pre learnt behaviour? 

But then until my meds were sorted for Menieres Disease, I was up with horrendous Vertigo, even in the dark, so kind of understand why ImI so awake at night. Now it's constant differing levels of Tinnitus ( in my R ear for over 40 years) and my L ear joined that weird party last year! 

Maybe a large mallet would help with the snoring, I do not  think bubbles or spider poop will work! ?? Thanks for ideas though. 
    Pip XX 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Mumof2ds   Sorry not replied to you. Just found you have answered my post on Night Owls. If you put like I have with your user name. Come to me.  Hope that helps.  Pleasure to do so and glad to.

Please thank you for kind words.

Sleep is a huge problem for every one, no one is perfect. Every body has some issues with sleep. Understanding what and how the brain works, your body reacts to every day stress.  From anxiety and worrying.

As you have said having the issues  the thoughts the constant Tinnitus.

I know from past experiences getting used to dealing with any underlying health issues can be harmful to your sleep patterns.

Had my sleep effected by a numbartal lifestyle.  Which means my days were nights and my nights were days. All due to addiction.  Was like that for a long time. So to adjust sleeping normal again. Took me down the route for looking for solutions to assist me.

Have anxiety and depression. Mainly anxiety and need find solutions and simple ways to destress.

You can have therapy and do everything you can do. Which you are doing. End of the whole sleep process is try to help yourself and try to use tools.  To aid and benefit yourself.

One thing I would suggest is a sleep diary. Used this and every time.  Had sleep noted the results down.

My mind was always wired and on a high so wind down around couple hours.  Before bed. Adjusted that to a hour now.

Got some thing on my mind write it down no matter what it is.  Could be anything at least it is written down.

Out of my head and leave that there. Not take to bed.  Used to have pen, paper by bedside now out and do still have issues, I try to not to dwell before bedtime.

Meds are an issue mine have vivid dreams and confusion before bedtime.  Need to destress. Deep breathing, Classic FM on . All electrical devices off.  Not a heavy meal, before sleep.  Not have caffeine before bedtime.  Plus any  alcohol.  Do not any way.  Due to addiction. Caffeine intolerant.

This has taken me a long time to do this. Even been to a sleep clinic.  Done well being qualifications to help myself. Finding my own way to cope.

That is why try and help. Aid many people I can.  With my food knowledge, diet .  See my posts.

All I can add you will succeed and it will take time and patience, tolerance.

I am here as the rest of the community to help and support.

Take care. Sorry long posts but just a humble gent .

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Mumof2ds
    @thespiceman

Thanks for numerous tips. 

Keep a daily diary for my symptoms, not a caffeine drinker since January this year (2018) my physiotherapist advised to come off lots of foods and drinks then reintroduce them one at a time to see if helps balance / vertigo, which it didn't, not surprised! 

But stayed off Caffeine, don't miss that, and I was a lover of my coffee before I got poorly. 

CBT and Counselling have helped me clear my head before bed, but loads going on with my elderly 88 year old Dad, housebound, and I used to care for him weekly when I could drive up the motorway. 

Now a three hour trip one way on trains and buses with hp, then I am  exhausted before I start care, admin etc. 
    Dad finally has a carer half hour a day, which eases my mind, and have got my three brothers to step up and do more for Dad since suddenly becoming g poorly in Feb 2017 but the sleep deprivation has been on and off definately since children born 19.5 yes ago and worse since Mum died suddenly , Dad got poorly and second son born, all over a one month period 13 years ago. 

ImI hanging in there, my son's,  hubby and friends have been a huge support to me so I am very lucky. 

Pip XX 
  • Mumof2ds
    Excuse auto correct and typos. ?

Brightness