When in a low mood — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When in a low mood

GizmoTiddles
GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
Hi all 
I am by nature an agnostic maybe even an atheist.
But I like to read about and respect other people's beliefs .
My creed for want of a better word when I feel low ,lost etc
I read:

Desiderata

GO PLACIDLY amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Reading it again has just helped me ,hopefully others also

Cheers

Gizmo

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    I am agnostic, and have been since childhood. I have always believed in achieving ones own happiness regardless of how others think you should be.

Take time out, personal time is as important as spending time with loved ones. Take time away from modern life and all the stresses that come with it, listen to the wind blow where you can see the stars, take time out to splash in puddles and spin around every now and then and feel the earth's ground  steady you again.

I  remember getting asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, and I replied happy. It certainly made my teacher ask again and she said what would I like to work at, and while other children  answered, doctor, fireman, priest, I would say I do not know yet. So accepting yourself is another important point. Too many people feel they have to choose, what if the person wants to try many things, and maybe never settles on just one thing, but learning lots of things is what makes them happy, judging others who are not like you and who do not have the same dreams or interpretations of life are as important as those who do.

if there is a grand plan, then I want to accept myself in it for all I am worth and not just the bit of me that might have felt forced in to a career, or certain life choices, I want to learn all different aspects of life, enjoy learning how to fix something, or make something. If there is not a grand plan, then my blink of an eye lifetime was certainly made more interesting by not being pushed in a direction that I did not think was for me, knowing by the time I have gotten to the end I have loved, I have smiled, I built sand castles and climbed trees, I saved a friend or two, put extra oomph into my hugs, but the part of me that at the end I will cherish the most is the ones who love me for who I am.

I like that and will look it out @GizmoTiddles Thanks :)
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @GizmoTiddles   Thanks for writing this. I am a sort of person who tries to see in every body a good gentle soul and try to be supportive and kind. Helping others in my opinion is something I am particularly try to do attainting.

Problem is when we are down and depressed and do not feel good and need the comfort of words and sensitivity to our needs we are reliant on our selves.

I am a belief of prayer and the power it can bring. To your soul and the torture sometimes we have inside. The pain , mental anxiety. By meditating and having some quiet time.

Also feel the warmth, solace and peace. Usually for me is the end of a day around a hour before bed. What have I achieved and done to day.  To help, guide some one to thinking about how they can heal with in.

More important have I learnt anything new today. Have I been educated and with words that strike a chord of wisdom. Have I done my best to heal my self inside. Have I done what I can today and cope with.

These questions always in mind towards bedtime and wind down.

All helps me to self esteem.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Remember you are a one off edition. Compare yourself to no one and let others be free to be themselves. Spend 15 minutes per day on your self. Self talk, meditation, gratitude, mindfulness, whatever. Make it count as your time. When you have issues that you can’t resolve and you can’t control, write them down and let it go. Or find your own way to let it go. Spending time on things you can’t control is just wasting your energy and increases your stress. Try something different. Do that thing you always wanted to when the time is right. Peace out

Brightness