Scoring differences from DLA to PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Scoring differences from DLA to PIP

patriciahendy
patriciahendy Community member Posts: 20 Courageous
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
The scoring of points for people with disabilities applying for pip is an absolute insult. Do they expect those who were awarded DLA but now face losing everything to suddenly become 'undisabled'? Also unqualified people making decisions. Would they know about severe Thoraco Lumbo Scoliosis and Cob Angles? I doubt it!

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @patriciahendy and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you find the community a supportive environment and please do let me know if there is anything that I can do!
    PIP and DLA are completely different benefits which assess different aspect of our lives. Some people end up with a higher award on PIP then they did on DLA and some people don't. Also, PIP goes on how a disability affects a persons life rather than their diagnosis. I know people have found the assessments incredibly difficult but you technically wouldn't need a diagnosis to be entitled to PIP.
    Scope

• The_narrator
    The_narrator Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    personally the PIP system is and has been designed to get claimants off long term and make it harder for everyone in general to get it i suffer seizures of around 50 per week had a pip award  lost after a year and have lost once again both under MR when the condition has deteroiated to a worse state than my original award date 

it's such a flawed system even the appeal and MR misses out vital points i stated in my appel letter and  my decision was made within 2 - 3 days of receiving the letter bearing in mind it has to be scanned and uploaded to the system theyve clearly just denied it after a quick glance 

the questions are so generic they should be tailored to your disability specifically not anything else 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
     Would they know about severe Thoraco Lumbo Scoliosis and Cob Angles? I doubt it!
    PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. They will want evidence to prove how you're affected.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The scoring of points for people with disabilities applying for pip is an absolute insult. Do they expect those who were awarded DLA but now face losing everything to suddenly become 'undisabled'? Also unqualified people making decisions. Would they know about severe Thoraco Lumbo Scoliosis and Cob Angles? I doubt it!
    Forget DLA it is no longer with us. There is no comparison to be drawn between DLA & PIP. New benefit with a totally new and different way of assessing someone's needs.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.