Recent ESA award cancelled after mandatory reconsideration - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Recent ESA award cancelled after mandatory reconsideration

Comments

• WeepingWillow
    WeepingWillow Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    @nattie48 Who though decides who the scroungers are?
  • nattie48
    nattie48 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Obviously the DWP know which ones are faking it and are able to work and obviously they don't know the ones that are seriously ill and are unable to work.
  • WeepingWillow
    That's  an  illogical response.  If they were 'faking' it  as you claim and the DWP were aware then they would not be given an award. These boards are set out to help others with advice and encouragement without judgement or subjective opinion. I am sure if someone were to accuse you of being a scrounger and a faker you would protest mightily. No one can see into another's mind and see why they are where they are today and very often the invisible in society have no visible ailments..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    nattie48 said:
    Obviously the DWP know which ones are faking it and are able to work and obviously they don't know the ones that are seriously ill and are unable to work.
    I'm not sure how anyone can "fake it" as you put it. Rather harsh really when you don't know other peoples circumstances. Invisible conditions do exist, believe it or not!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • nattie48
    I'm sorry if my comment seemed harsh but I know of people who are claiming ESA and PIP and there's nothing  wrong with them, when I got kicked off ESA even though I suffer from constant chronic back pain, I am on MST for that pain which does not work when I am walking around with my walking stick. Yes I do know of 'invisible conditions' because as well as suffering from chronic back pain caused by degenerative disc disease I also  suffer from fibromyalgia, so I have a double whammy of constant pain.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The problem with invisible conditions is that the health service can only go by your descriptions and actions. To fake it would be a reasonably easy task so long as you have a fair amount of contact with people really disabled and then able to say and do the same things.

In my early days I was hoping to get better after major surgery and went on a college course. A guy there used to struggle round on two sticks with appropriate moans and groans and complaints and we all believed him. Then one day I arrived late and saw him get out of his car and walk normally to a corner around which was the college. At that point he started using both sticks instead of carrying them and moved slowly and deliberately with appropriate moans and groans. A few days later I heard him discussing going duck shooting which meant a 3 mile hike (he claimed he could only manage 20-30 metres) across fields and climbing fences. I know I should have reported him but tbh I have never had that nasty streak that some have and couldn't bring myself to do it. I was disgusted by his attitude though and it was obvious that he had researched back pain very well, enough to fool most people. He did realise I had heard him him talking about the duck shoot and he just looked smug and it was obvious he thought himself very clever.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • poppy123456
    nattie48 said:
    I'm sorry if my comment seemed harsh but I know of people who are claiming ESA and PIP and there's nothing  wrong with them, when I got kicked off ESA even though I suffer from constant chronic back pain, I am on MST for that pain which does not work when I am walking around with my walking stick. Yes I do know of 'invisible conditions' because as well as suffering from chronic back pain caused by degenerative disc disease I also  suffer from fibromyalgia, so I have a double whammy of constant pain.
    Yes it was harsh! So you know exactly what conditions these people you know of have and how they're affected by them? I'm sorry but people who judge others make me so angry.

I also have fibro and several other conditions but i certainly wouldn't judge others. It's extremely difficult to claim these benefits even for genuine conditions, without people claiming fraudulently.  Evidence would be needed to start with.

Please don't judge others until you know their full story and exactly how their conditions affect them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • nattie48
    Well said topkitten, some people do know how to work the system. I do not judge people as you said poppy123456 otherwise I would be a whistle blower!! I'm just saying there are people out there that are genuine with their conditions and as I said above sadly there are people out there who knows how to milk the system. I'm a nurse and I have seen it plenty of times, however, they are so good at what they do and know when to 'act out their conditions that they get away with it regularly. It saddens me to say we live in a corrupt country but we do. 
  • AndyW
    AndyW Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Totally agree with the comments about those who know how to play it! I too am a nurse of 25 years and seen plenty maybe I should have asked them for lessons now thar I am unable to work but can get Bihar all!!!
  • nattie48
    Nicely said Andy and that is exactly how I feel.
  • WeepingWillow
    Unless you walk in someone else's shoes or lead their lives you will  never  know whether your subjective opinion is right. The politics of envy is ugly, the  dispossessed and never possessed bleating about what others are getting. If people spent as much energy on their own well being as they do in rancid dismay on their perceptions of others I am sure they would be happier. 
  • poppy123456
    Unless you walk in someone else's shoes or lead their lives you will  never  know whether your subjective opinion is right.
    Exactly, which is why a person should never judge others! Great post and well said.
  • nattie48
    Like I said I'm not judging anyone, it's just really frustrating when you know of people who are conning the system!! 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have to disagree with some of the comments. I think the human race as a whole judges everyone all the time, whether that be for being able to gain an advantage in some way or whether a person is a possible partner and in many other ways. What most people do not do is to say it out loud or take actions based on it except to maybe avoid particular people. I think it an ingrained and entirely natural trait that makes us who we are.

Personally I do get frustrated by people who are taking advantage of the benefits of being seriously ill if they don't need to. Maybe it's because they are having a good day but, as special treatment options are limited, if they are having a good day they should leave whatever special treatment option it is for those not having a good day. Unfortunately we live in a very selfish society currently, much more so than it used to be, and now almost everyone takes any advantage they can without thinking of others. That makes me feel very sad a lot of the time, seeing how things have changed for the worse over time.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • nattie48
    TK I agree with everything you said, it's very hard to survive in this day and age. The NHS is failing, people are dying because of that, the care is just not there anymore, the nurses in the hospital are totally run off their feet and are not able to do their jobs properly and it's not their fault. The system is corrupt and I can't see it getting any better in the future.

Nat.
  • AndyW
    Yep agree with most things said but still.... People should be able to express how they feel particularly on this site as we are all in the same boat(well almost)! Others on here spouting off about others being judgemental are doing the very same thing!!! We should be able to sound off without getting a thorough slating from certain others ♿?
  • angel137
    angel137 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Nobody is slating anyone but as fraudulent claims are currently at 1 to 2%, you might want to dial it down on that topic. At least 98% of people are genuine.
    The DWP lose more money in error (theirs), than in fraudulent claims. 
    There will always be a few who misuse the system.  Certain papers; The Sun, The Mail, like to vilify the sick and the disabled(to them we are ALL scroungers) as well as immigrants and any vulnerable group.... 
    The best of luck to you. 
  • AndyW
    Really. Only 1-2% don't know where you got the stats but think they're just a little bit outdated!!! Even so, if it was really so low - which it isn't, how come so many genuine claimants are on here that have been refused??? And by the way I don't read any of the papers you mentioned 
    Best of luck to you too.
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    You're flogging a dead horse.  If you have links to  disprove that the stats are not  what angel137  says please feel free to post them.
  • AndyW
    And if you had studied anything to do with statistics or had to apply tests to equations and results then you would be well aware that statistics are very very easy to manipulate. Not being arsey but life is life and what you see and what I see and other is always different. Everyone has a different perspective on life.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.