Esa has been suspended — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa has been suspended

j_s1974
j_s1974 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My partners esa has been suspended. Due to her moving in with me and I work 30 hours a work. I think she's on income related she was at one point having to have interviews and appointments. But then she got put on support group. Which is what's confusing us because I didn't think they could stop her esa on support group. She suffers with bad depression and anxiety. We are really struggling right now we don't claim any other benefits. And my job is minimum wage. Don't no who to turn to on advice with what we can claim

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Hi j-s1974
    Has your partner contacted DWP and enquirer about claiming PIP.
         Debsidoo.x

• gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi j_s1974 welcome to the Scope community and sorry to hear about your problems.  I would claim PIP for her and try tax credit for both of you. This link should help: 
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
  • j_s1974
    I've tried the calculaters but they don't really say what other benefits are available apart from some hb ct and a bit of tax credits. And when I rang a benefits advice line they just said ring tax office who said we should get about 7 quid a week.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Hi @j-s1974
    make the application for working tax credits and housing benefit, call PIP as soon as you can,even if they turn down your application you have nothing to lose in trying.
    Meanwhile you could ring your local benefits office for clarification as to what to do next.Income related esa will take into account any earnings you may have coming in.
       Debsidoo.x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

As your partner is claiming Income Related ESA and you work 30 hours per week then she won't be entitled to any ESA because you work more than 24 hours per week. Income Related is a means tested benefit and your income will affect it, even if she was in the Support Group.

The first thing you should do is check if your area is a full Universal Credit area, if it is then you won't be able to claim tax credits or housing benefit, it will have to be Universal credit. Check your area by putting your postcode into this link.

If it's not a full universal credit area then claiming working tax credits will depend on circumstances, for example age and earnings and whether or not you have children. Housing benefit could also be an option too, if your area isn't a full universal credit area.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. Lots of info here about claiming PIP and the PIP self test to complete to give her an idea of what could possibly be scored. Evidence will be needed to support a claim.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • j_s1974
    My hours are going down to 23 in September has we are having a baby. Won't need much proof for pip has the doctors already know about her condition. Didn't know anything about pip till I got told about it this morning. And dwp don't want to give us any information on anything. So much for being honest and telling them the truth. We have just over 800 quid for the month now it just don't seem fair.  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Decreasing your hours to 23 per week won't help your partner with her ESA. Anything you earn over £20 per week will be deducted from her ESA £1 for £1.

I would advise you to visit your local CAB or benefits advice centre who will do a full benefits check on both of you. Anything you claim will be claimed as couple.

Evidence will be needed for a PIP claim because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence and the onus is always on the claimant to make sure it's sent to support a claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    I suggest you visit your local CAB office. They should be able to do a proper benefits check for you. Also check what evidence is needed to support your claim. 

The onus is on you to ensure it’s sent with the paperwork. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi j_s1974

Just a thought.

Is it the case that your partner was not working in the two or three years before she originally claimed ESA? If she had qualified for contributory ESA on her original claim, because she had recently paid National Insurance contributions, the she would get contributory ESA and this would continue indefinitely, because she is in the support group.

if she wasn't working at all at this time, then please ignore this post.  I'v e only written it because occasionally, there is confusion, including in DWP offices, as to who is getting income-based and who is getting contributory benefit. You can have one topped up by the other.

Gill_Scope
  • j_s1974
    She's just turned 24 she's not really worked enough before esa because she has celiac disease and bad anxiety. So not enough ni contributions. She's on ir esa support group and 5 weeks of giving birth
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Right, yes, that's going to be income-related ESA with support group component then.

Gill_Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.