PIP and chronic pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and chronic pain

dave5080
dave5080 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi

i suffer from chronic back pain and nerve inflammation pain throughout my body . I have been in a ESA support group for a number of years but of late my problems have got worse to the stage where i can hardly walk. I am thinking of applying for PIP but my doctor has not put a specific name to my problem as in the ( nerve inflammation pain) and has labelled it as just chronic pain. Would this affect my application for PIP ? 
I know its how it affects your ability to get around and not the actual problem but still would like help to clarify please.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dave5080 and welcome to the community! You do not need a diagnosis to apply for PIP as it goes on how the disability affects your life. It may be worth having a go at the PIP self- test online which will give you an indication of the points you would score. Please do not take these as fact as an assessor may score you differently :)
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a difficult one. Unfortunately there is no way that anybody can determine what the level of pain is that you suffer from. We all have different pain thresholds.
    You may well describe your pain level as a 9/10 whereas I and others would put it at a 3/10.
    So don't expect the PIP assessment to agree with what you describe. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.