May my son have a learning disability? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

May my son have a learning disability?

Options
Redadamc
Redadamc Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
My son is almost 21 and has always had problems with his writing and spelling.  He is intelligent and is currently at university studying for a computer degree. He is at home at the moment and I asked him to write a letter for a job. His writing is illegible and when I asked him to type it up it was full of really easy spelling errors which he could not see. I have been thinking for some time that he may have some sort of learning disability and wanted to know how I would go about getting him tested.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Redadamc and a warm welcome to the community. I hope you find the answers that you are looking for. I would suggest a trip to the GP who may be able to point you in the right direction. Other community members may have some other ideas. 
    If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @Redadamc!

MENCAP have some good advice online- a lot of it is tailored towards younger children, but there's some helpful guidance on the diagnostic process too. Have a read, and as Chloe mentioned, do consider seeing your GP with your son- they will be best placed to help. If this is something that's an issue, it may be worth looking into Disabled Students Allowance for some additional support at uni for him too.

Wishing you all the best, and do keep us updated!
  • OwnedByASphynx
    OwnedByASphynx Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Have a chat with student welfare support. They can let you know if they can refer or what outside service they would recommend. Since he is at uni he can be tested for Irlens which can affect how he reads and writes. 
  • dolfrog
    dolfrog Community member Posts: 441 Pioneering
    Options
    This could be a type of auditory processing disorder, a listening disability, which can b the underlying cognitive cause of developmental dyslexia. i have been living with ths all of my life. Thoise of us who have a high IQ can find various alternative compensating skills and abilities to work around our limitations. and many are not identifies as having these issues until gong to university or in a comple work situation.

Brightness