My care has been reduced, what do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My care has been reduced, what do I do?

jas62
jas62 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have recently been let go from the care company who was providing my care after complaining about a variety of issues with 2 days notice at the beginning of the month. It’s been quite hard to get actual assistance to move forward, my daughter has had to read information online and ring helplines. We had a meeting with reviewing officers who said the meeting was simply a review and not an assessment meeting, however we have received paperwork from the council saying they want to reduce my budget by a substantial amount and have included a care plan which we had no say in and it says it was a needs assessment? We also told them my daughter would no longer be able to provide care for me as she has a 1year old to look after. Has anyone been through a similar experience? Any advice would be appreciated :) 
Jas 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jas62 Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope there will be members of our community.

Who will be able to advise.

I wanted to welcome you and say we are a supportive friendly community.

Care and share.  Ask the community anything some of our members will know.

Plenty of information, advice and lots of friends.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Hi ? there, sorry to hear your situation but unfortunately i myself know how you feel, I’ve was in a very similar situation with my social worker and my careers, my social worker asked for a meeting with my career and as she put it just a review but as the meeting went on it came to light that she wanted to reduce my care. It got to a point with my anxiety and depression coming to the hilt that i had to ask them to leave and so now I’ve got no care what’s so ever but to be honest i think that’s what they wanted. I do have a meeting coming up soon but i will never trust them and what ever they say i will never take it as gospel. Ask for a meeting again but don’t trust what they say and if you can get anything in writing do so. NC
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Social Care do not manage the care contracts in any real sense of the word so you are always at the mercy of the care provider who will usually send whoever they want whenever they can fit it in. Completely regardless of your needs.

I had many problems with care constantly complaining about the companies (I had 6 different ones in 2 years) and also finally with a Social Worker who was a trainee and absolutely useless. She made so many mistakes that when I received a call saying she would be accompanied on her next visit I hoped it would be sorted out. Instead, my Social Worker never said a word and the other lady lied when I asked if it was an assessment, saying it wasn't. They decided to reduce my 14.5 hours per week down to 2 hours and I told them to get out and to stuff it. This they then lied about that as well saying that I had agreed to it and then finally, to add insult to injury, they lied again about my personality and the lies mean that I am now blacklisted from having a Social Worker. Consequently, even though I have now had 6 referrals to them (2 for safety from suicide reasons) they haven't even bothered to talk to me let alone assess me, Complaining was a total waste of time too.

I have nothing good to say about Social Care and now I just manage which, for me right now, means no washing or showering, 2 or 3 hot meals a week and only the odd coffee here and there. I don't have a very nice "life" but no one who could help seems to give a damn about me anyway.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful but I thought showing you that you are not alone might help your mood.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    A lot of us have been abandoned by the care system.
     It really isnt fit for purpose
    Dont know how we can change it without help from mps and most of them wont move themselves 
  • jas62
    jas62 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I can not believe what I am reading. Has anyone gone down the advocacy route? They change their tune when someone from an independent organisation rings them, I am still waiting to hear back from many phone calls I have made, has anyone correctly followed the complaints procedure? When I email direct to the county council they have to get in touch within a certain timeframe. If you truly need help do not give up, there are charities that can provide assistance. I am still fighting, will update on situation when I hear back. 
    Lots of love to everyone

• Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @jas62

It's clear from your response that you know how to challenge this, but I thought I'd post this link as a reference: https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/social-care-overview

Best Wishes
    Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness