PIP points needed to get a mobility car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP points needed to get a mobility car

Shazam
Shazam Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I went to a hearing about my pip and I won I was awarded 20points can you tell me how many points are needed to get a disability car 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Shazam   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Congratulations to you.

Thank you for your question. I am not sure of the answer. I am sure a member of our team or a member of our community will know.

Do know you need the enhanced rate for Motability  I know this because I have applied for PIP. Told I need the enhanced rate..  To still getting my car but do not know the points needed.

Sorry I can not help. Know it is confusing and complex. Also might be worth contacting your local CAB . They have a lot of benefit knowledge and expertise.

I wanted to welcome you to the community. Say we are supportive friendly and  here to offer what help and advice we can.  Please ask if anything else you would like to know.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Shazam, the scoring of PIP will depend on the individual scores from the daily living component and the mobility component. 

Scoring your abilities

The DWP will add together your points from all the daily living activities. If you get between 8 and 11 points in total, you’ll get for the daily living component of PIP at the standard rate. If you get at least 12 points in total, you’ll get the daily living component at the enhanced rate.

The DWP will add together your points from all the mobility activities. If you get between 8 and 11 points in total, you’ll get the mobility component of PIP at the standard rate. If you get at least 12 points in total, you’ll get the mobility component at the enhanced rate.

(https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/how-decisions-are-made/)
    If you receive the Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP, you could exchange this to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme.
    (https://news.motability.co.uk/everyday-tips/everything-you-need-to-know-about-pip/)

I hope this helps! If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Shazam said:
    Hi I went to a hearing about my pip and I won I was awarded 20points can you tell me how many points are needed to get a disability car 
    Hi,

You'll need to check which part you scored these points in. As stated above you need 12 points in the mobility part and not daily living part to be eligible for the car.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Reading your post you are not happy because you did not get awarded the enhanced rate of mobility to get a car. Either you didn’t meet the criteria for the enhanced rate or you need to apply for a MR in the time frame because you feel you have been wrongly accessed.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Having had to go to a Tribunal to get a better result than you were first offered makes me worried about any future re-assessment claims you make.

I hope that you realise that even if you do get the right number of points for the Mobility element (12) you may well find that a re-assessment could well change all of that.

A large number of people are moving away from having a Motability car because with PIP there is no longer any reasonable guarantee (as there was with DLA) that you would keep those points in a re-assessment. You could end up like me that in the past 5 years and having 3 assessments I had 3 Motability cars taken off me because I failed to get the points each time.

Many now see Motability as maybe a quick fix solution and take on a car and don't expect to keep it for very long.

My suggestion is get yourself a runabout that way no matter what happens in the future with any assessments and decisions your car will still be on your driveway.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.