Moving from DLA to PIP but got lower scored on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from DLA to PIP but got lower scored on PIP

Options
sammyjoe
sammyjoe Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi my son was diagnosed with Autism in year 8 as he was suffering with anxiety and crying alot at school.  We were awarded DLA for the last 3 years and I was getting carers allowance as I couldn't work because he needed me to take him everywhere, he found walking to schiol and back too stressful so I had to get a small car to take him to school to make his life better, apart from going to school he stays home all the time, no activities or sports, no friends ever came for him as he would find talking awkward.  The last 5 years have been so hard and isolated for us both.  He is now 16 and we applied for PIP , and a man came to the house to do his report.  I had my letter on Saturday and he was only awarded 2 points and therefore not entitled to PIP.  I have been so upset, without my carers I will need to get a job which will leave him home alone alot and not able to support him and his needs.  He still has autism and the only thing that has changed is his age,. He still needs support in the outside world.  He is supposed to be going to college in September and I am worrying about how he will get on, and don't know if he can .use public transport as he has never been anywhere in his own.  How is he not entitled to anymore supprts.  I am ringing tomorrow to appeal as I feel that they have made a mistake.  I will go to tribunal if necessary.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sammyjoe

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your current situation, Unfortunately, I don't know the best advice to give you however many members within the community may have experienced similar situations and will be able to give you their advice soon. 

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sammyjoe and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you very much for sharing this with us all and I am sorry that didn't get the PIP entitlement that you were after. It may be worth doing the PIP self- test online on your son's behalf to see what you get there. Please do bare in mind that an assessor may give you a different score. PIP and DLA are completely different benefits and assess different aspects of life. Some people get more on DLA and some get more on PIP. The community is really supportive and would love to support you through this appeal process. Information on the appeal process can be found here. Also, you may find the parents and carers and ASD boards particularly useful :)
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sammyjoe said:
    Hi my son was diagnosed with Autism in year 8 as he was suffering with anxiety and crying alot at school.  We were awarded DLA for the last 3 years and I was getting carers allowance as I couldn't work because he needed me to take him everywhere, he found walking to schiol and back too stressful so I had to get a small car to take him to school to make his life better, apart from going to school he stays home all the time, no activities or sports, no friends ever came for him as he would find talking awkward.  The last 5 years have been so hard and isolated for us both.  He is now 16 and we applied for PIP , and a man came to the house to do his report.  I had my letter on Saturday and he was only awarded 2 points and therefore not entitled to PIP.  I have been so upset, without my carers I will need to get a job which will leave him home alone alot and not able to support him and his needs.  He still has autism and the only thing that has changed is his age,. He still needs support in the outside world.  He is supposed to be going to college in September and I am worrying about how he will get on, and don't know if he can .use public transport as he has never been anywhere in his own.  How is he not entitled to anymore supprts.  I am ringing tomorrow to appeal as I feel that they have made a mistake.  I will go to tribunal if necessary.
    Child DLA and adult PIP are miles apart.
    I would suggest that you read up on what PIP demands of a claimant as I feel that your are viewing it from a child based DLA award

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.