When posts gets so long you forget what they are about? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When posts gets so long you forget what they are about?

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
i have noticed that some posts start off on one subject then go on and on and on and on and end up another subject. I am not saying it’s wrong. Just it can be very frustrating. I think we should try to stick to the subject matter and if it’s something else we should perhaps message the person? I know it’s impossible to monitor but really it’s one thing that we could be collectively responsible for as members. Personally I would just say Help Scope! My Topic has been lost lol! Is this a waste of time me posting this lol?

Comments

• SethLaa
    SethLaa Community member Posts: 111 Courageous
    No, it is NOT a waste of time as I agree with  you
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing this @debbiedo49, it's good to hear your thoughts! I know it can be difficult to keep track of things, especially when you have symptoms like brain-fog.

Even if somebody doesn't want to directly message another member with an unrelated question, they can always start a brand new discussion about that topic (and tag other members) too! 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    I have brain fog so often go off track when talking, i do try to have conversations that stay on track but it can take me a long time to do a reply online because it's hard for me to concentrate enough to do that. Offline people know to prompt me to stay on track with conversation or just put up with my randomness and accept it's how i am.

When people do a wall of text i tend to skip that i they haven't broken it into paragraphs as it is usually impossible to read, especially if the spelling is terrible. I used to be able to 'translate' this stuff but find it impossible now.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I do understand as I am beginning to have trouble following long posts myself but unfortunately I have always been a "why use 10 words when 100 will do" kind of person. I start out intending to give a short concise reply and then start including examples which tend to ramble a bit. I have often wondered whether appreciate what I have typed but would never ask, lol! As for messaging..... I do not believe in messaging directly unless contacted by others first as I see that as an invasion of privacy.

All I will say in my defence is that sometimes we talk about complex issues and it simply cannot be answered properly with short replies.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    I have always been known as the Queen of Waffle, and renowned for my glaring typos. 

I have recently joined this lovely community, and I know I must of  been guilty of waffle. My phone auto corrects everything, so it looks right when I press send. Honestly! 

I am heart on sleeve, and do have brain fog, so bear with my posts too please. ? 

P X 
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Its not the waffling its the complete change of directions that can go on lol
  • Mumof2ds
    Oh Debbiedo49 I'm know for my randomness and veering off topic as well. ?  I type as I speak, and have to jot it down or it's forgotten! 

Ha ha P X 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Mumof2ds, never be frightened of making long posts, often they help the poster by getting it out there as much as anything else. At times everyone is guilty of waffling or going off topic and I find myself sometimes apologising for doing so at the end of very long posts. You are not alone, lol!

It is though preferable to do so in your own posts rather than someone else's. In such a situation I will create a new post and reference it both ways, when I remember to do so.

We could have a waffle challenge sometime, if you like. Could be fun, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Mumof2ds
    ????
  • Smileygotwell
    Smileygotwell Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    @debbiedo49, sounds like I had better apologise now! In advance, I mean, you know; 'cos I do go on, (and on, and on) but hopefully, and with the imaginative addition of Apple auto correct modifying wash today (sorry, what I say) into a complete fantasy trip, you might find the odd bit entertaining! 

Brightness