PIP lifetime award for Parkinson's? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP lifetime award for Parkinson's?

jaqisitt
jaqisitt Community member Posts: 22 Connected
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I have received pip for 3 years. Had review assessment 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I had a letter from dwp saying they had all the information they needed for a decision but I still haven't heard anything. The assessor felt strongly I should move to higher rate mobility component and that I shouldn't require further reviews as I have Parkinson's which is degenerative. Can anyone advise how much longer I am likely to wait and do they issue life awards for conditions like mine

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jaqisitt

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer but I'm sure other members will be able to give you an estimated time period.

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jaqisitt and a warm welcome to the community! It can take 6-8 weeks to get a decision so it shouldn't be much longer! We have our fingers crossed for you :) I am not sure about the lifetime awards.
    Scope

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @jaqisitt

Welcome to the community.

Give the PIP helpline a call and ask for a copy of your assessment report.

Once you have to hand.

There is section at the end of report, where assessor gives advice on length of award and if a further review is needed.

Also, DWP is reviewing how it deals with claimants who have enhanced awards for both components, this is due end of this summer.

Let us know, if you need further assistance.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    jaqisitt said:
    I have received pip for 3 years. Had review assessment 6 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I had a letter from dwp saying they had all the information they needed for a decision but I still haven't heard anything. The assessor felt strongly I should move to higher rate mobility component and that I shouldn't require further reviews as I have Parkinson's which is degenerative. Can anyone advise how much longer I am likely to wait and do they issue life awards for conditions like mine
    Lifetime awards under PIP are no longer than 10 years. During that 10 year period you may well have another assessment to check if what you were awarded is still relevant.
    An award length should not be based on a condition but on the difficulties it causes. Parkinsons is as you say a degenerative condition but only in it's latter stages does it become difficult to cope with.

I have two similar conditions but they have not progressed enough to warrant anything over a 3 year award. Hence the reason why I closed the claim down - the thought of regular re-assessments.
  • jaqisitt
    Thanks to you all for feedback. Am almost worried to call pip health line in case it's not good news. The assessor said they rarely go against their recommendations but the longer it takes the more worried I get. Tried to find info regarding arrears payment if review increases components from standard to high but seem to get conflicting advice. Can anyone clarify this for me
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    With a review, if you're awarded a higher rate than before then your new payments will start from the date of the decision and not from when you sent your forms back. There isn't any backpay for reviews. Back pay is only if you report a change of circumstances and you're awarded a higher rate.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaqisitt
    Thanks. Not great news but at least I know
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you got a copy of the assessment report to know what you scored? Or are you just going by what the assessor said to you at the assessment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaqisitt
    Just going by what assessor said she would be recommending

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.