ESA to JSA to UC — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA to JSA to UC

tina_123
tina_123 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I need some advice about a benefits problem

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @tina_123 Pleased to meet you welcome.

We are a supportive friendly community. Care and share.  Plenty of information, advice and lots of new friends.

Have you looked at our benefit advice for any solutions to your benefit enquiry. 

Please can I ask what is the benefit problem ? I am sure a member of our community or team may know.. I would consider speaking to CAB they might advise. They have a wealth of benefit knowledge and advice.

Hope that helps.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • tina_123
    Hi Spiceman,

Thanks for your reply. I need to obtain some advice about the DHSS. I'm 60 and suffering from auto-immune disease and COPD. I was on ESA but this was stopped in May, although I've always passed previous 'fit for work assessments', this time I was failed and my ESA stopped. I have appealed but its a long waiting list. Was then placed on JSA, then 3 weeks ago moved to UC. Since then I've faced a 5 week wait with no income. Bills are falling behind and have been forced to resort to foodbanks, a very degrading experience. To cut a long story short, last week my phone was malfunctioning and I simply couldn't find the money to have it repaired, hence missed a telephone call from them from which I've now been sanctioned! Now at the point where I fear loosing my home and at wits end. I need some advice on my rights and what I can do about this.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @tina_123   Thank you for reply and I am sorry what you are going through   I feel for you and the community I am sure knows what you are going through.

Please can I advise as a matter of concern contact our helpline 0808 800 3333

They will advise how to support and help you. Please can I also suggest have you considered looking at CAB your local office. Have you informed them of your situation and plight.

Have a wealth of knowledge of benefits and other additional information or also considering speaking to welfare rights another option.

Have you spoken to AGE UK about your situation . I know they would be interested in helping you.  I know you are 60. I understand you might qualify for a lot of assistance .

Finally I would in my opinion need to speak to your MP. They often are interested in what is happening to you.

All I can say I know you have come to the right place for support and advice. Hope you find the help and advice you need. I am so sorry what is happening to you.

Always here to listen.

Pleasure to have met you.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tina_123
    Hi Spiceman, thanks so much for the helpful reply:) I will ring the Helpline this afternoon and will contact my MP.

A pleasure to have met you too, t/c 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    What was the reason you moved to UC from claiming JSA? The wait for first payment of UC is 6 weeks and once you claim this you can't go back onto ESA.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tina_123
    Hi Poppy, I was told that while appeal was going through to the courts I could go back on ESA, was then redirected on to ESA due to the roll out in this area, would appreciate advice on this please.
  • poppy123456
    As you were found fit for work your ESA would not have been a new claim so yes you could have gone back onto assessment rate while waiting Tribunal. Someone obviously gave you bad advice and i've heard of that happening before.
    Unfortunately because you've now claim UC then you can go back onto ESA ever. If the Tribunal put you into one of the groups for ESA then UC should honour this decision and place you in the equivalent group for ESA, at least until your next assessment.

The 6 week wait for your money is standard for everyone with UC. Do you have any family that could help you while you wait for your first payment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • tina_123
    I was not aware of that at all and will bring it up with work coach at next appointment which is next week. My ESA  was stopped in May, having passed all previous fit for work assessments, I was failed on that one, although my condition is degenerative and is actually getting worse. I'd appreciate any advice on how I can some support and clout behind me for my court appeal.

I have my mum, but she's only on O.A. Pension and I don't want to burden her with this. My son works in Germany. I asked for a referral to a foodbank a degrading experience in itself. I was told in UC Journal, it could be arranged for appt next week, The sanction is ridiculous - sanctioned for not having enough money to repair phone!! The whole system is punitive and stacked against the claimant.  The 6 weeks wait is causing severe hardship for people with no savings left all over the country. 
  • poppy123456
    For help with your Tribunal appeal have you contacted your local CAB or any other disability advice centre in your area? When you say help, do you mean someone to represent you on the day of the hearing or just help in general?

Yes i agree, the wait for UC first payment is ridiculous. Sadly you were advised incorrectly but it can't be reversed now because once you claim UC there's no going back, being incorrectly advised won't help you here i'm really sorry.
  • tina_123
    No I haven't contacted local CAB yet, but will ring tomorrow. What I would like is someone to represent me at the appeal, are you aware of any organisations who can do this Poppy?

• thespiceman
    Hello @tina_123 Reading your posts I believe you want to know about support at Tribunals.

I have done a posts recently on finding an advocate to represent me at PIP assessment. I did get my friend to come with me.

Before that struggled to find advocates. I know there out there. So did some research. Basically there are organisations who will help and assist but for a fee or donation.

Mainly on line I know if you live in certain regions of the UK they will support you. Do not live in the area will not. Even when I dangled a donation.  In their faces.

Understand and do not realise the situation and problem we have in this country just find some one to represent you.  Strange if you want to live to claim asylum or reside in this country loads of support and will assist but it all very sad.

I thought Welfare rights do tribunals. I know and spent a hell a lot of time doing this research. So tired and stressed and may I add frustrated. Had an advocate office up the road from me. I live in North East. Office about thirty miles away but does not cover my area.

Would not budge after I suggested give a donation. Mind you my friend who gave me all the information and lots of advice. Live in Scotland all welcoming have no problems.  Apparently they are available with out any qualms. I do know she got one with no issues or problems.

Other thing I learnt. Was have a mental health issue will help but has to be specific. Then evaluation then this and that. Spent a long time on Email.  In the end have some long waiting times and then asked me where I live told her. Sorry cannot help.

I could blame the Government for this as I do. Because so many organisations want and need money.  Many have shut down offices. 

All I can is wish you the best I hope I do not sound negative but I know I want and I think has to be a solution to the ever growing burden of people in our community.

Who are in this situation.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • tina_123
    Hi Spiceman,

The government and its austerity drive are certainly to blame, they are causing so much misery and hardship for so many people up and down the country, especially the poor and disabled. I've heard at least 70% of these incorrect fit for work rulings get overturned in court. Yes, its very frustrating and wish you lots of luck, don't let them grind you down!

I've seen doc this morning who's given me a note stating I'm unfit for work, won't help with the financial situation, but will stop them harassing me for a month at least. Appealing the sanction and still trying to obtain help with my appeal, trying your suggestion of contacting MP. Best wishes, Tina.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.