Been claiming PIP for 2 yrs and now need to go for a face to face? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Been claiming PIP for 2 yrs and now need to go for a face to face?

jakey
jakey Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there I've been claiming pip for 2 years but have to go for a face to face thing.. Was wondering if they say no. And I have to appeal it will I still get paid ???

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jakey

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately I don't know the answer however I'm sure another member may know and will get in contact soon.

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    jakey said:
    Hi there I've been claiming pip for 2 years but have to go for a face to face thing.. Was wondering if they say no. And I have to appeal it will I still get paid ???
    You will continue to be paid PIP at your current level until a decision is made by the DWP based on the re-assessment. 
    If the decision is no then obviously your current benefit payments will stop. If you then appeal against that decision, which can now take a year to be heard, you will get no money. If you win at the Tribunal then you will be paid what you are owed from when the benefit was originally stopped.
    Personally I would now be trying to put as much money away should the worst case scenario happen. That way you would have a fund to fall back on whilst appealing. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Good luck with your assessment. As it's a review if the decision doesn't go in your favour and you lose your current award you money will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made. If a decision goes in your favour then you'll have a new award date.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    Good luck with your assessment. 

Since it’s a review the possibility of eventually losing your money is there. Not trying to frighten you. If they decide not to stop your money consider yourself lucky. Use this as a saving opportunity. 
  • Suzanne_HFAut54
    Suzanne_HFAut54 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Gosh guys youre not exactly assuaging domronrss fears about the interview, do much pessimism. My best advice, have as many up to date letters, email print outs and appointment schedules of how you're dealing effectively with your condition  with you ready to present as extras in support of your claim. Take a sympathetic, knowledgeable... about your condition.. person with you that can observe when you're under duress, ask for the interviewer to slow down or repeat their question. Your interview is only supposed  to last 40-45 minutes. Record how many minutes it goes over or if you are struggling with fatigue it is yiur right to leave. Also be aware if it's an enormous struggle to get to the interview place and you're Autistic you can asked to be interviewed at home or in certain instances do it via Skype. Be aware that if your condition is mental health related they won't ask you about mobility issues. However your ability to be socially included, evident in society, able to leave the house without fear or debilitating anxiety is so answer honestly based on your worst days and most recent worst ones. Be very aware  that they are videoing your entry into the building and watching your body language throughout. 

You'll get points scored against various sections of the assessment. You will need a certain amount to pass the threshold for an award to be made. If they score you below that you have the right to challenge in a Mandatory Reconsideration process. Get help to submit that, asking first to see a copy of your interview. You'll no doubt hardly recognise it as accurate. Challenge what you think the score should be under which criteria for each section. They should choose from a to e for answers. Submit and wait patiently. It takes up to three weeks for a Mandatory Reconsideration to be looked at during which time your money may have dropped. The crucial point comes when you win the MR, because your original claim from 2 years ago still stands so any benefits you're still owed have to be paid. Be prepared though to take a drop in weekly income as they are rationalising many from higher levels of care to basic which is what happened to my Autistic son. If you have a Carer their benefits are of course dependent on yours.

If in any doubt about how to get extra assistance give your local action on disability office a call. Good luck. 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry but that's not correct advice. Future appointment dates/times are not classed as evidence. The reason is because they don't mean anything, it doesn't tell them anything about how the persons conditions affects them.

For a home assessment  a letter from a GP is mostly needed, stating the reasons why you can't attend one of their assessment centres.

There's no average time for assessments and how long they're supposed to last. Some people are only there for 20 minutes, and others more than 1 hour. I'm not sure why you would want to leave before it's finished as this could go against you if the assessment isn't complete. Some claimants have more questions to answers than others, it totally depends on how the conditions affect them.

Once a decision is made it will overrule the previous award, the previous award will not still stand. If a decision doesn't go in a claimants favour then their money will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made, regardless of the length of the award before. If a decision goes in their favour then they have a new award date, which again overrules the previous date. If the decision goes in their favour and the award is higher than the previous award then new payments will start from when a decision is made, if it's a review.

The no timescales to MR decisions, some take just a couple of weeks while other take a couple of months.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Thanks poppy for pointing out the many errors in Suzzanne's post. I was just about to say the same thing.

In addition the idea of only talking about the worst day can and has led to prosecutions in the past for benefit fraud.

And as for there being a max of time for the assessment - that is complete rubbish as well is getting up and walking out because of stress or anxiety.
  • mossycow
    mossycow Scope Member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    Hiya! All above is correct (apart from future letters but that was corrected) but wanted to mention that I had similar fears. I had my assessment and it went fine and the decision went well.

I was so worried and I agree that preparing for the worse is very pragmatic and safe...but also wanted to give you a balance by pointing out that it can go well too.

Best of luck!

(and yes, save prescriptions etc but any info you dont have they can get from your doctor)
  • Yadnad
    mossycow said:

(and yes, save prescriptions etc but any info you dont have they can get from your doctor)
    Who are you expecting to get evidence and from whom?

If you think that the DWP or the assessor will help out, forget it. They are supposed to but very rarely do so.
    It's down to you entirely.
  • poppy123456
    mossycow said:

Don't rely on this happening because they very rarely contact anyone.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.