Boxing in disability vehicles. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boxing in disability vehicles.

feir
feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
Is there any kind of protection for blue badge holders who are reliant on their car/vehicle when they are being boxed in all the time when parking? It restricts their ability to go out and renders them immobile when there's no need for it.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not that I am aware of, as a disabled driver and blue badge holder I have on the rear of my car a sticker requesting to leave room for me to acess my mobility scooter and on both front door Windows please leave enough room to open my door fully. I see many blue badge holders park in disabled bays but there is no Indecation other than where they are parked and displaying a blue badge that they have a disability. So maybe a good idea to put an apropreate sticker, sign on your car informing other drivers that you are a disabled driver.
  • feir
    thanks @wilko i will have a look online for the stickers now. he does leave his blue badge in the vehicle and was hoping people would be more considerate of where they park but obviously nobody seems to be bothered or they don't notice his badge.
  • thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    I have encountered this issue several times now. Earlier this year when I was parking my car at the supermarket I was told off by one of the parking lot attendants in front of my daughter. They seemed to think that I did not need it until I got my son’s wheelchair out of my car to show them. More recently I was at a airport and I used one of the disabled spaces available to park. I’m not sure if they actually realise that I cannot use a regular space because Logan is clearly physically disabled. 
  • brentus
    brentus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Im 46 and have a blue badge due to disability . The amount of people,especially a certain age group,when seeing me park up in a disabled bay,that walk over to or out their way to check if ive a blue badge is unbelievable.  I can only assume that they think only the elderly need blue badges or it could be my shifty looks. Ive had car park attendants come over asking me if thats my badge as in pulling myself out of the car with crutches in hand. Its laughable really. Parking at home is also a laugh, my neighbour and the house opposite have 5 or 6 cars each and never think of leaving me a space. Im only on the lower rate of mobility and was told i couldn't request a disabled parking bay unless i was on the higher rate,can someone clarify if thats the case please? Thanks.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    And the more badges issued means there will be far less bays for disabled people who need to use a WHEELCHAIR
    cos they CANT WALK

• feir
    He's been taking videos of how bad the parking round here is as well and that seems to be helping.:smile:
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    I once saw a vehicle with a large clear sign showing a pictorial explanation, not just the words.     Maybe it is worth finding how to get a sign like that, to stick on your car?

Trying to think the best of people, some of them may simply not comprehend?

One friend in Australia used to drive while sitting in his wheelchair.   He  had particular physical difficulty, meaning there was a surprising  length of 'run-in' he needed, to get into position for his ramp, plus the ramp itself couldn't be too steep.

He had an artist friend so she drew a cartoon style enormous design, then a garage coach-sprayed it across the rear doors of his car.  Nobody could fail to understand the message.     She put measurements in, but also made the point, by showing an outline of a recognisable standard car.  It showed that he needed, in effect, an entire car length left empty behind him.
  • feir
    Since he shoved a cam up the parking is a lot better round here.

Brightness