home visit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

home visit

Debzs
Debzs Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm new to forums so hi to you all, my query is, my doc had written a letter requesting a home visit, atos health care says they will arrange taxi to take me, I'm bipolar with an abnormal movement condition and aggarophbia, can I appeal that decision and get home visit any advice will be appreciated debzs

Comments

• Debzs
    The stress has made me I'll I also undergoing significant med changes as well thank you for any advice 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,
    Did your GP state the reasons why a home visit is needed? It has been known for them to refuse even with a letter from your GP. As they said they would arrange a taxi is there anyone that can go with you? If you agree to the taxi then you'll most likely have to pay the cost upfront and them claim the expenses back. Do be aware that you can only cancel an appointment once.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Courageous
    Do you know why a home visit was recommended? The so called DWP experts refuse even when your GP has kindly provided a letter of explanation. Remember that you cannot cancel the appointment more than once. If you say yes to the taxi service you will have to pay any expenses before you can claim them back. Do you have any other options? Can someone else accompany you? Good luck and please keep us updated. 
  • Debzs
    They refused home visit bcos my doc  sed I never go out but comes to surgery in taxi in taxi a shot distance away so they sed if I can get a taxi to doctors I can get a taxi 12miles away I explained that it's a familiar place and familiar ppl but they say no, my mental health is through the roof,no sleep for 48 hours I think it's spiked my manic phase, absolutely gutted ism going to docs on wed but don't know what he can do that thank you for understanding and advice xxxxx
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Have you contacted the citizens advice ? They might be able to help.
  • Debzs
    I haven't tbh, I would struggle to get to the cab,I don't go out everything is done online,my world very small xx
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Debzs This is for PIP?  Although they ask  for a GP letter to explain why you cannot attend at the centre, they can use the contents of that letter to illustrate why you can attend. I think you my find it hard to get them to reverse their decision. 
    You might find it better to be accompanied to the assessment as  others have said. If you are going to the assessment by your self they can by prior arrangement have someone meet you and walk you to the waiting area. 
  • Debzs
    You right about them using that letter against me, man on the phone at atos was cheeky and over bearing,no idea about mental health, my home depends on the outcome of assessment,I couldn't afford to pay top up rent and utilities,my daughter off work to come with me, when I went to pip assessment I fainted in waiting room,my doctor's are amazing and will back me all the way,he actually sed in letter that even a home visit would be too stressful for me, they just blatantly ignored my doc, am new to forums so sorry if Iam commenting in wrong boxes xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Almost everyone without exception will be required to have a face to face assessment for PIP.
  • Ripples
    @Debzs You are right in that people who work on the switchboards and sometimes those who do the assessments  often have no experience of mental health. Generally speaking I have heard that it is easier to get a home visit for PIP than ESA, mys sister had a home visit for PIP not that it helped her..
  • Debzs
    They a law unto themselves,  last ESA assessment the woman didn't even look at me,and the file they sent me was a pack of lies,they playing god with ppls lives,xx
  • Debzs
    I have email address for our local MP has anybody gone down this route before? Did it make any difference? X
  • keira
    keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=topic&defaultmenu=100549&catid=10&id=107745&start=0
  • Debzs
    Thank you I will look that up 
  • Debzs
    Totally out my depth with that, thank you anyway
  • keira
    keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    You could ask them to carry out a paper based assessment and you could make such a request under "Reasonable Adjustments" for Disabled People covered by sections 20-21 of The Equality Act 2010. (EA 2010).
  • Debzs
    That's amazing Keira thank you so much I have never heard of that,the thought of losing my home and possessions is too much to bear,to be homeless at 55 has shot my anxiety thro roof,thank you so much
  • Debzs
    Keira one question at what point do I ask for this to be considered? After they've deemed me fit for work or at a specific time x
  • Ripples
    @Debzs If you were thinking of going  down that route then it would have to be before the assessment .  The link supplied  refers to an ESA thread in 2016  and as I am sure  you will appreciate PIP and ESA  are different  benefits although  there are various crossovers.  
    Your best route  to a paper assessment relies on your ability to demonstrate without question  via the forms you fill in and the evidence supplied that they have enough information to judge your case on.  Secondly any award you might get may not be the correct one in some cases without seeing you.

The legislation quoted in the thread refers mostly to the way they can make adjustments, for  example  if you have trouble with mobility they can ensure you have no steps to climb and you are seen on a ground floor.

• Debzs
    I have a miriad of illness's ad stated by my doc which theyvth blatantly ignored I feel intimidated and threatened by whole process x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.