Appealing ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appealing ESA

Options
Charleyb
Charleyb Community member Posts: 25 Connected
How does a person whose had four decompression and two fusions one of which has not fused as yet now I’m feeling like I want to just die. I have post traumatic stress physiological damage due to being robbed and jumped on from behind in 2013. DWP have made me suffer I have no income how can they do this to people who are already in crisis I’m just totally unable to cope I not sleeping I’m not eating I’m not feeling like a person I need some help and they have give me none

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Charleyb and thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I am sorry to hear that you are struggling. What stage in the appeal are you currently at?
    Scope

• WeepingWillow
    WeepingWillow Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Options
    @Charleyb It's best if you elaborate so that people can advise you.
  • Charleyb
    Options
    I am waiting for a date
  • Charleyb
    Options
    I have been left without money since the beginning of may
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Options
    @Charleyb What you need to share is the background for example  what benefits are/were  you claiming? Have you been found fit for work after an assessment?  If  so have you completed a mandatory reconsideration? Why do you not have any income? Have you spoken to someone like Citizens Advice?
  • Charleyb
    Options
    Yes but I missed my assessment appointment as I got the letter after the appointment date. So my benefit has not been automaticity reinsated. Which citizen advice said it would. And every time I asked DWP for advice they refused to help me
  • Charleyb
    Options
    I was claiming ESA and I was in the support group I was meant to attend a assessment but I missed my appointment as the letter came late. I explained all of this and asked for a mandatory reconsideration but they refused to change their decision even though my doctor had adviced them that my condition had got worse and that my medication had been put up and that I must not work
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,051 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You were found fit for work for failing to attend the assessment. Your next step is the Tribunal and you have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. Unfortunately because you were found fit for work for failing to attend you won't be paid assessment rate while waiting for the Tribunal.

The Tribunal will now decide if your reasons for not attending are acceptable, if they are then you'll be able to go back onto ESA assessment rate, while you wait for assessment. If a Tribunal decision goes in your favour, any money owed will be back dated. I would advise you get further help with this. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ripples
    Options
    It is as poppy123456  says  a failure to attend means you are automatically considered fit for work.  Is there a problem with your post generally? I ask because the appointments I have had by post are usually about  3 weeks in advance.
    Can I just clarify that since your ESA payments stopped you haven't been advised to claim any other benefit  like Universal Credit?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For the Tribunal what you need to concentrate on is the reasons for not attending the assessment and not your reasons for not being able to work. Did you get help with the Mandatory Reconsideration? The Tribunal process can take several months, depending on the backlog in your area. As Ripples says, what other benefits have you been advised to claim? They won't reinstate your ESA while waiting for your Tribunal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Charleyb
    Options
    No I have asked for advice but got none what should I do now then and yes I do have problems often with my post
  • keira
    keira Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Options

Upper Tier Tribunal Decision SP V SSWP [2018] UKUT 227 (AAC) Upper Tribunal Case No: CUC/1067/2018

Summary of Upper Tier Tribunal’s Decision Published on 26 July 2018

1. Notification that can lead to a sanction for failure to comply does not take effect unless and until it is received.
    2. The notion of good reason does not allow a person who was not aware of a letter of notification to be made subject to a sanction.

The claimant says he did not receive a notice to attend a Universal Credit work-focused interview in time to attend the appointment as the letter did not arrive until the afternoon of the day of the appointment.  He said it had been opened and might have been delivered to a nearby street with a similar name.

The Secretary of State decided he had received the letter and, having no good reason for failing to attend, was subject to a sanction.

The Upper Tier Tribunal disagreed with the First Tier Tribunal’s decision and decided that a notification that can lead to a sanction for failure to comply does not take effect unless and until it is received.

The Tribunal also decided that the notion of good reason does not allow a sanction to be applied to someone’s Universal Credit (or any other benefit subject to sanctions) where the claimant was not aware of a letter sent to notify them of an appointment before the time for which the appointment had been arranged.

The appeal was allowed and the decision set aside for rehearing by a differently constituted panel.

Click here to read the full wording of Upper Tier Tribunal Decision CUC/1067/2018

• Charleyb
    Options
    Can anyone please help me I have been without money since esa stopped my benefit I did ask many advisers for help as I have been in the support group since July 2013 and was lead to believe that it was for an indefinite period my condition has got much worse and I am still unable to manage life by myself. I really don’t know what I should do for money to survive as it’s affecting me dramatically as I need my medication and have no money to pay for it please help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Hi,
    When were you found fit for work? You have 28 days to request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you will need to put it in writing what you disagree with and state which you group think you should be in and why.

In the meantime you'll need to check if your area is a full Universal credit area, if it is then it's this you'll have to claim and not JSA. Check here. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

If it's a full UC area and you claim UC then you won't be able to go back onto ESA. If not then your only option is JSA with a fit note for an extended 13 week period while you wait for your MR decision.

You really should speak to your local CAB or other disability advice centre for further help with all of this.

If you claim housing benefit then speak to your local council about filling in a nil income form, then your housing benefit will continue.

• Ripples
    Options
    @Charleyb ESA is an ongoing award rather than an indefinite one. Unless you are in a category of excepted conditions such as Huntingdon's disease and have been informed that you will not need to be assessed again you and anyone else can be called in for assessment at any time.
    Have you applied for a mandatory reconsideration yet  and or appeal? Unfortunately if you are without money you may have to put in for another benefit such as Universal Credit. I should read poppy12345's reply  particularly that declaring nil income for your housing expenses.
    You can apply for prescriptions free if you fill in a  HC1 form there is normally no need to do this if you receive IR  ESA or other relevant benefits.

• Alexleonardo
    Alexleonardo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I ask for Mandatory Reconsiderations about  ESA claim and back Payment the 13 week . More like two months don’t send me any leter about the mandatory reconstruction.
  • Charleyb
    Options
    I am a disabled person who is unable to go to actively seek work as my mobility is very limited I am also suffering chronic pain in my upper and lower limbs and it’s getting worse and worse so that’s why I have not been to claim either UC or JSA. I’m at my wits end I really don’t know what else to do 
  • Ripples
    Options
  • Charleyb
    Options
    @ripples I have tried to make a claim for UC but I am unable to go to actively seek work as my disability affects my mobility. So I now have to go back and forth to get sick notes I have got a tribunal date next month I just can not wait any longer for money had to claim UC I just hope I have done the right thing.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Once you claim UC you won't be able to go back onto ESA. If the Tribunal place you into one of the groups for your ESA then UC should honour this and place you in the equivalent UC group but this isn't always the case.

You will also have an assessment for UC which will be the same as it was for ESA and you'll eventually be sent a UC50 form. You'll have a face 2 face assessment after that.

As you have your Tribunal date next month then it would have been much better for you if you had waited until that decision is made.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.