I have applied for pip ,I have an assessment adviser coming to see me at my home why — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have applied for pip ,I have an assessment adviser coming to see me at my home why

Options
helo
helo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Why is the medical assessment being done at my home . I have fibromyalgia 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @helo and a warm welcome to the community! Is this a medical appointment for PIP? You may have been awarded a home assessment if it is deemed that you are unable to leave the house to attend an assessment. I know a lot of people fight hard to get a home assessment. I hope it goes well!
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Personally I cannot see what the difference is between a home visit and one at the assessor's office. Obviously I may well have a blinkered opinion as all of mine over the past 23 years have all taken place at a venue outside of my home.
    Still it may help relieve some anxiety I suppose by having it at home but that has never been a problem for me.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi helo
    Actually a home assessment can be very useful as if you have bars for the toilet or a level access shower or any other aids to help with daily living it is easier for the assessor to judge how much help you need and how you are affected by your circumstances.Much better than at a centre which in itself can be decided by them if you can make it to there you can do more than you think.
    Just remember to have somebody with you in case you have difficulty.Good luck
        Debsidoo.x

• Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Options
    debsidoo said:
    Hi helo
    Actually a home assessment can be very useful as if you have bars for the toilet or a level access shower or any other aids to help with daily living it is easier for the assessor to judge how much help you need and how you are affected by your circumstances.Much better than at a centre which in itself can be decided by them if you can make it to there you can do more than you think.
    Just remember to have somebody with you in case you have difficulty.

Are you suggesting that you would take the assessor or maybe just tell them to wander around the home to inspect the adaptions that you may have?

Surely the adaptions prove nothing, they may well have been installed to give the impression of a serious disability? Much like the walking stick standing behind the front door that is never used or maybe the 'ebay' wheelchair?

To be honest I doubt that the assessor will penalise you if you turn up for an assessment at one of their venues. Just explain to them how you managed to get there.

In the main I have always gone in alone for an assessment - that includes ESA, IIDB, DLA and PIP.
  • Debzs
    Debzs Community member Posts: 35 Courageous
    Options
    Make sure you have someone with you if you get a visit, am sure they not allowed to wander around your home,bless you it's a stressful time when dealing with these ppl 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is there anybody else who can be there during the assessment or not?
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Debzs said:
    Make sure you have someone with you if you get a visit, am sure they not allowed to wander around your home,bless you it's a stressful time when dealing with these ppl 
    Unfortunately there have been some cases where they have asked to use the toilet and have looked around. But in the main they are not interested.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.