one point short of daily living. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

one point short of daily living.

needmorehelp
needmorehelp Community member Posts: 6 Listener

Hi folks,

I have been migrated from DLA to PIP was on middle rate care and low mobility DLA, got standard mobility in PIP and one point short of Daily care.

As I am in N irealand I will get something  called a welfare supplement which basically means I will get 75% of what I got on Dla for a year under pip and then it reverts to the usual pip payment.

I know that I can ask for an MR and think I should have scored more for mixing with people only got 2 for prompting and encouragement, but as I have social phobia my partner always helps me and supports me by coming with me most of the time, was at assessment as well. I don't have a social life of my own, only go out with my partner.

Even the assessor said on report that I have severe social phobia.

I think I should have got 4 points for social support, but there you are just 2 for prompting and encouragement.

I'm  really mixed up as to what to do, and I have to take into consideration that I will get 3/4 of what I have lost for a year the welfare supplement which is unique to N Ireland.

I know that statistically speaking MR usually stay the same, but has a chance that I could loose the lot. So on balance I am thinking maybe I should take what I am offered as I will get 75% of what I got on DLA for 12 months under pip.

Your opinion as to what you would do really appreciated, though its me that has to make the call.

Many thanks.

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @needmorehelp
    Are you on any medication as if you need a pill planner as an aid you could pick up the extra point you need to qualify if you are only one point away.
      Debsidoo.x
  • needmorehelp
    Yes I have that, got the point. Thanks for quick reply, I have got points for all the aids I have.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi needmorehelp,

I can understand your concerns but it's not that likely that they will take your benefit off you on a MR if they've already decided to give it to you. It can happen but not very often and I will agree that most of the time a MR will not change the decision.
    However, recently I have appealed on the behalf of three separate clients who had scored 11 points for daily living, and on all three cases the appeals officer lapsed the appeal and allowed the extra point without it going any further. I live and work in England though.
    Whatever you decide to do, I hope it all goes the way to want it to.

Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I agree with Lee and given that you will get a top up for a year you really have little to worry about asking for a MR and then going to appeal if you need to.

• needmorehelp

Thanks guys for advice. The top up is a little different if you get zero PIP, you then get paid DLA until tribunal decision, whereas if its just a reduction you get 75% of the loss for a year.

So a few things to think about, and I am slowing moving to the idea of asking for an MR.

Thanks again

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.