Fnd — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fnd

Options
hezs81
hezs81 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi had a relapse and someone told me to go for pip is there anyone out there with the same condition as myself who has had a successful claim for pip. 

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It is not necessary to know that. Each person who may have the same condition will more than likely suffer the effects of it and thus the impact at many different levels.
    I have chronic pancreatitis and post on a forum specifically for others who suffer from the same condition. Some have a very difficult life with it in not being able to self care is one of them. Others they sail along popping the pills and feeling elated in that they are so high on the stuff.

Should they both be awarded PIP? No Both have the same condition yet one feels no pain because it is under control whilst the other has pain that consumes their life.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    Yadnad, you’re not being helpful. there’s nothing wrong with looking for people with similar conditions. 

OP I hope someone else can help and give you some positive stories of pip. 
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Pin said:
    Yadnad, you’re not being helpful. there’s nothing wrong with looking for people with similar conditions. 

OP I hope someone else can help and give you some positive stories of pip. 
    The fact that many have the same condition every one of them will have different stories to tell on how that condition affects them.

It is far better to concentrate on your own issues on how they affect YOU.

Millions of people suffer from some form of Arthritis.  And millions will have different difficulties.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    That’s good and well, but it’s nice to not feel quite so alone in all of this. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi hezs81,

I can understand Yadnad's point because it is not what your health condition or diagnosis is that qualifies you for PIP, it is the effects of those health problems on your daily life with the 10 daily living activities and the 2 mobility activities which is relevant.
    However, in terms of getting some moral support with the process I can understand you wanting to speak with others who have your condition. It is really important though to focus on how you are affected more than anyone else when considering your options.
    If you are not receiving PIP you have nothing to lose by giving it a go. The activities can be found here: 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

Thanks,
    Lee
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Yadnad
    Options
    How many times have I seen a post that asks someone who has the same condition the question - how many points/type of award did you get?
    To highlight this my niece aged 35 is over the moon with a recent PIP award of Enhanced Care, Standard Mobility after claiming for the effects and impact of Depression & Anxiety. Her problem is one of motivation which she accepts. Finding herself now a single mum with a 12 year old and having to take sole responsibility for her son and her life in general. Her GP has prescribed some medication to help her.

Then I look to myself suffering from long term PTSD (already getting a 40% award under an another DWP benefit) & Depression. I have medication coming out of my ears have been sectioned in the past and have spent many years in a semi closed environment at a NHS Mental Health Day Centre. 

I received 0 points for the difficulties I face on a daily basis.

So even with depression the awards can be totally the polar opposite.    

If you accept that then you should concentrate on how your life is impacted.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @hezs81 I have recently been diagnosed with FND but my symptoms vary.

I have enhanced daily and standard mobility for PIP.

This award went to tribunal but hadn’t had diagnosis at that time just the symptoms. as well as social anxiety and depression.

Id say fill in the self test then take it form there.

Glad we are not alone x
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
  • hezs81
    hezs81 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    It stands for functional neurological disorder
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.