pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip

Options
julie1hall
julie1hall Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi 
Advice please , my daughter was declined PIP after she turned 17 , originally she was awarded 4 points which then after reconsideration was awarded 6 points , we then went to tribunal where we got a total of 7 points!!! We were advised to apply again from scratch and have just had the first letter awarding 6 points, and now sending it back for reconsideration again! Is it worth mentioning in my covering letter that the previous tribunal awarded 7 points (more than the current application ). Obviously I have pointed out the changes that have occurred since the tribunal in order to support the claim. In the previous claim the judge awarded one point for descriptor taking meds but in this one no points given!!! So near yet so far!! My daughter has chronic bowel disease.
Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I would mention the 1 point for the medication but that still won't get her an award. You need to look at the descriptors again to see where she could possibly score more points in another descriptor and send evidence to support that. I don't think mentioning the Tribunal will help you here because she wasn't successful.

Are you getting some help with this, or are you doing it yourself?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • julie1hall
    Options
    thanks yes I have covered some other descriptors also. I have done mostly myself although I had welfare rights involved with last claim but she was satisfied with my work and said  there wasn't much else she was able to add other than tweaked the letter slightly. So,  so far she has been awarded 6 points 2 for prep food, 2 washing and bathing, 2 dressing and undressing but none for managing treatments yet scored after tribunal! Also managing toilet needs didn't score any yet its a huge part of her illness. Id hate to have to put her through a tribunal again! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You need to remember that PIP isn't awarded based on a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. If a descriptor doesn't apply to the claimant then they won't score the points. The descriptors have certain meanings.

Managing toilet needs or incontinence.

This activity considers a claimant’s ability to get on and off the toilet, to manage evacuation of the bladder and/or bowel and to clean afterwards.

This activity does not consider the ability to manage clothing, climb stairs or mobilise to the toilet.

Notes

Managing incontinence means the ability to manage involuntary evacuation of the bladder and/or bowel including the use of a collecting device or self-catheterisation and cleaning oneself afterwards.

Claimants with indwelling (permanent) catheters or stoma are considered incontinent for the purposes of this activity.

To score points in this descriptor will totally depend on the help she needs, if any. For example, Does she use an aid, does she require assistance or supervision, If she has a stoma bag does she need help with this?

Is there any other descriptor that she could possibly score points in?

Most MR decisions remain the same, so you may end up taking to to Tribunal. I do think that you need to get further advise regarding this because of the descriptors and there meaning. They won't apply to everyone and it's very difficult to advise on an internet forum because no one knows how your daughters condition affects her.  Your local CAB maybe a good place to start. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • julie1hall
    Options
    Thanks for advice, I have a guide from Crohn's and colitis uk and it is my bible for this purpose as it makes every descriptor clear and explains what examples we may need to use and what evidence to provide. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.