Any advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice

meema
meema Community member Posts: 24 Connected
Hi, I am new to this . I have recently had a accident that has left me with a disability . I am in the process of claiming PIP  :# stressed or what to the extent that today is the day before my pip assesment and i am so anxious and scared that I am vomiting ! Surly this is wrong that someone that is trying their best to try to get their life back together and some independence back should be made to feel like this . Any advice on getting through the assesment would be great . I keep telling myself it can't be that bad and that you only hear of the  few bad horror stories not the good ones ??? 

Comments

• Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya meema, I had my assessment back in June. I had a physiotherapist doing mine, she was very nice and I felt due to my disability she was able to understand what I go through on a day to day basis. I made sure that I didn’t deviate from the fact that she is there to assess me on my daily life. I answered every question truthfully and honestly. I explained how my disability affects  me with each question she asked me. I declined the physical side because of the pain I am in and what the affect would have on me if I did so. I am not recommending you do this, It was that I couldn’t. I just wanted to point out, that is if you don’t know already, you can phone the dwp about a week or so later and request the assessment report, so long as you’re not living in Northern Ireland. Normally the award is about 4to 6 weeks later, mine was 8, so don’t be worried. I hope this as been some help for you. Good luck.????
  • meema
    Thank you Gwendolyn , well the day has arrived and I feel like a jelly . Isn't it silly that something so simple , sitting talking about yourself , can totally freak you out . I will try to relax and answer the questions as fully and honestly as possible I'm just not good at opening up and talking about me and my struggles .???
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    The questions they ask will be based on the descriptors and how your condition affects you. Try to answer those questions with as much detail as possible and avoid answering just yes or no, if you can. They will be watching you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave so be aware of that too. Hopefully you sent in evidence to support your claim because they very rarely contact anyone for this. If you're planning on taking evidence with you then be aware that they won't always accept it on the day of the assessment.

It's true what you said, you mostly only hear the good stories, i've never had a bad assessment report. Don't forget to ask for a copy of the assessment report the middle of next week. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • meema
    Thank you poppy of got everything crossed I just want to start living again ??
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Poppy had good assessors and was probably encouraged by the assessors to talk about her difficulties. Not all assessors are like that. The three that I have had were only interested in yes/no answers to questions asked. When attempting to go into more detail the assessor was already halfway through asking the next question.

At the end of the day it all depends on the assessor you are given hence why there are some good reports and some which are blatantly inaccurate.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @meema, how did your assessment go today, I hope your ok
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Good luck, with your assessment.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • meema
    What can I say ! To me the whole process was horrendous ,down grading and darn right degrading . Nothing more than a interrogation . The lady was nice enough but  i was made to feel like i was trying to cheat  . Hundreds of questions fired in quick succession all about the same thing but asked in a different way . So how it went I really could not say . My friend that came with me said I handled things really well but who knows . Let's just day I'm not holding my breath . Thank you all for your wishes today xxx
  • Yadnad
    meema said:
    What can I say ! To me the whole process was horrendous ,down grading and darn right degrading . Nothing more than a interrogation . The lady was nice enough but  i was made to feel like i was trying to cheat  . Hundreds of questions fired in quick succession all about the same thing but asked in a different way . So how it went I really could not say . My friend that came with me said I handled things really well but who knows . Let's just day I'm not holding my breath . Thank you all for your wishes today xxx
    At least its over with, good or bad.
    Did the assessor give you the time and let you go into detail with your answers or was it just question after question?

• meema
    Quick fire questions one after the other . No explanation of how I feel or the effects it has on me .
  • Yadnad
    meema said:
    Quick fire questions one after the other . No explanation of how I feel or the effects it has on me .
    Same as me then but very much unlike Poppies assessors
  • meema
    It's all so wrong . But yes I feel like a huge weight has been lifted of my shoulders even not knowing how it went is better than what I was feeling 
  • Yadnad
    meema said:
    It's all so wrong . But yes I feel like a huge weight has been lifted of my shoulders even not knowing how it went is better than what I was feeling 
    To me it was a case of knowing that if it was a case of murder I was found guilty. The pressure that I felt had lifted. The thought of the sentence was inevitable so let it be.
  • meema
    Could not put it any better  yadnad 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.