Appeal date in oct — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal date in oct

chrisd1962
chrisd1962 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
hi , my son has a date after waiting from Dec 2017 for this Oct  he used to be on dla since the age of 15 he’s now 26 and when got moved to pip got refused . He has agoraphobia with other conditions and I don’t think I will be able to get him to the appeal  can I go instead of him  any suggestions please would be helpful . 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're his appointee then yes you can attend the hearing on his behalf. If you're not then i'm fairly certain that you won't be able to attend on his behalf.

I know it's very scary but if there's any way he can attend then it would be much better. The Tribunal want to see for their self how his condition affects him, he'll be able to tell them in his own words exactly how his condition affects him. There's a much better chance of a decision going in his favour if he attends in person. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chrisd1962
    chrisd1962 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    I’m his Mam and deal with everything for him , the last time he was out was Xmas day for a few hours at his grandmas he hasn’t been able to see her since then he is not good with strangers and is only comftable at home with some one with him . He has had all his assessments at home . How do I become a appointee pls
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you're his appointee then yes you can attend the hearing on his behalf. If you're not then i'm fairly certain that you won't be able to attend on his behalf.

I attended a tribunal for my wife who had been refused Attendance Allowance. She was far to ill to attend herself having just been discharged from hospital due to lung issues. I explained this to the panel and they decided to go ahead.
    I wont go through what happened but it ended in chaos with the doctor describing me a drug dealer.
    Suffice it to say they didn't believe a word that I said and refused the appeal.

Had she have gone then it would have been different in that the panel would have seen for themselves the difficulties she faced.

I put a new claim in on her behalf the following day and just weeks later she was awarded Attendance Allowance for day and night care indefinitely.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m his Mam and deal with everything for him , the last time he was out was Xmas day for a few hours at his grandmas he hasn’t been able to see her since then he is not good with strangers and is only comftable at home with some one with him . He has had all his assessments at home . How do I become a appointee pls

You have to make application to the DWP who will arrange for an officer to come to your home to assess the situation.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    If he doesn't have the capacity to look after his own money then it would be possible to become his appointee. https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.