Preparing for universal credit interviews — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Preparing for universal credit interviews

pamela1962
pamela1962 Community member Posts: 40 Connected
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello everyone
I have signed on for universal credit, but because of my physical disabilities and anxiety, im finding it really difficult going through their work preparation s and interviews while waiting for my work capability assessment. 
I have a sick note and a letter from my gp, but it makes no difference. Any advice welcome.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @pamela1962   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry what has happened.

I understand as do the community . The situation you are dealing with. 

I know a member of our team or a member of our community will advise and tell you what you need to do.

May I suggest speaking to CAB your local office tell them your issues and problems around this. They may advise a solution. 

All I can say the systems around Universal credit are complex and confusing.

You need the right advice and support.

Wanted to add we are a friendly supportive community. Care and share.  Ready to listen anytime.

Hope we can help.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @pamela1962, and a warm welcome to the community!

Hopefully some of our community members will be able to advise you here. In the meantime, you may like to check out this information about UC on the Scope website.
  • sallylucy
    sallylucy Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    Hi @pamela1962 I have been through this process and, I know it can be very hard and worrying, the first thing I would say is take someone with you to your face to face interview, and just be as honest as you can, which I found quite embarrassing when it came to personal stuff, I had to wait 7 weeks after this to find I was put in the LWRCA group, hope this helps, and warms wishes.
  • pamela1962
    Thank you . They are getting me to do CVS and sign up to recruitment agencies doing 10 hours job searches , I haven't even been for the wca yet. Finding all the face to face meeting s and all these commitments too much.
  • sallylucy
    sallylucy Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    pamela1962, that's terrible, I Had to apply for UC after I lost my husband, but I just sent sicknotes in and they phoned me every so often till I had my WCA interview which I waited a long time for, you should not be having to go through all that if they are receiving notes from your Dr,there are a few FB UC pages that provide very good advice perhaps try looking at one of those, my heart goes out to you x
  • pamela1962
    Thank you for your kind words. Really sorry to hear you lost your husband .xx
    I had to sign on as my husband walked out on me and I'm finding it all really stressful. 
    Perhaps I should try and contact my work coach. 
  • kami24
    kami24 Community member Posts: 402 Pioneering
    Remember they treat you like a number so try not to take it personally but you have rights and should only go in once a month to the jobcentre if you have a medical note; I have done it all myself you name it I have gone through it with benefits as I have had 28 jobs been on and off of universal credit due to personality disorder and now have to appeal pip because they reassessed me after a 1 year and a half so here we go again another challenge for the most vulnerable people in society who have little rights or no rights in some cases
  • pamela1962
    Totally agree! I'm due for another pip reassessment soon , on top of all this it's just too much. Thanks for your comment. Hope you get your pip sorted out. 

• pamela1962
    No I only had pip before. Never claimed esa. Thank you for thinking of that though. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.