ADVICE WANTED BENEFITS AND BUYING/OWNING LAND — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ADVICE WANTED BENEFITS AND BUYING/OWNING LAND

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1 Listener
Single mum currently on benefits esa,child tax credits housing benefit living in council property my health has become very bad an I’m no longer able to work diagnosed with me,fibro and a list of problems leaving me bed bound half the time.which means they will have to house me in a council bungalow which I’m planning or slowly but surely trying to provide a home for myself longeterm. I feel trapped that it’s benefits and being ill and my life can’t go no further I have found a piece of land to buy which is cheaply priced at 12k with the hope of buying it and in the long term living on it with planning  I have approached my bank for a loan which will lend me 7 k and already have £5kin savings my question am I allowed to buy land whilst on benefits also do I declare before I buy or after also if I buy it how will it effect benefits I have searched internet and citerzens advice all confusing 

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @lackeen2018 Pleased to meet you welcome.

I am unsure of an answer to your question.  I would just suggest CAB..  Been on their website but have you spoken to CAB.

Know the rules around benefits, savings property are confusing and complex.

Have you seen the DWP website for qualifying criteria for owning property or land.

Maybe speak to our team 0808 800 3333.  Hope that helps.

I just wanted to welcome you. We are a supportive friendly community who care and share.

Lots of information advice . Ask the community anything.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1 Listener
    Thankyou for welcome it is all very confusing and lots of different advice will call that number tomorrow 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lackeen2018, and a warm welcome to the community!

Unfortunately this isn't something we've come across before here on the community, and from what I can see online it certainly does look like conflicting advice! It would be great to hear how you get on and what you decide. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Single mum currently on benefits esa,child tax credits housing benefit living in council property my health has become very bad an I’m no longer able to work diagnosed with me,fibro and a list of problems leaving me bed bound half the time.which means they will have to house me in a council bungalow which I’m planning or slowly but surely trying to provide a home for myself longeterm. I feel trapped that it’s benefits and being ill and my life can’t go no further I have found a piece of land to buy which is cheaply priced at 12k with the hope of buying it and in the long term living on it with planning  I have approached my bank for a loan which will lend me 7 k and already have £5kin savings my question am I allowed to buy land whilst on benefits also do I declare before I buy or after also if I buy it how will it effect benefits I have searched internet and citerzens advice all confusing 
    I would advise you to think very carefully about buying this land with the hope that planning permission would be granted.
    I sit on the Planning Committee of my local council and from experience not everything will turn into gold.
    Do some research, even visit the planning office at the local council and get some feedback as to the chances of getting the permissions.

I also have developed a property a few years back which turned out to be a nightmare. It was in an AONB and they insisted how it was to be built, the materials to be used right down to the colour of the exterior paintwork.

Do your homework first and then and only then consider buying it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.